Lease Friendly Dealers?

aug0211

Hi All,

Anyone know much about leasing? I am a serial trader - I trade every 2 years historically (I know, I’m horrible).

I’m thinking about finally switching to leasing instead of always “buying.”

I don’t do any crazy off-roading, so my mod list is pretty reasonable. The biggest thing I’ll do is tires and wheels - other than that, it’s really small stuff here and there than is easily removed.

So, I’m wondering - has anyone has luck with their dealer allowing swapped tires and wheels (no lift) on a lease? How has that worked for you? Just do it after you have the Wrangler, and put it back to stock before turning it in? Or talk through it with the dealer up front and roll it in to the lease? I’m in Ohio, if that matters at all.

On my JK, I let the dealer do the install of tires and wheels (and trimming of air dam) so it was ready to go for me when I came in to pick it up - but that was not a lease deal.

Thanks for the guidance!

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Oh yea they are fine with it. It’s essentially your vehicle till the lease is up. I leased my 2011 jk before I bought it at the end of the 39 months. For warranty purpose they said don’t go over 3” and 35’s and I would be fine for warranty work. I made sure I had that in writing lol

aug0211

Oh yea they are fine with it. It’s essentially your vehicle till the lease is up. I leased my 2011 jk before I bought it at the end of the 39 months. For warranty purpose they said don’t go over 3” and 35’s and I would be fine for warranty work. I made sure I had that in writing lol

Awesome - I’ll plan to ask up front then, to get it in writing.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Ya worst case you just need to revert it back before turning it in. But most leasing companies allow up to xx amount of mods and can roll them into the lease.

The residuals on the JL are crazy high so u can get a lease very low. Around here some of the real leases, not the bs ones they sometimes advertise but u cannot actually get, are crazy low. Can always decide whether to turn it in or keep it at end of lease based on what u owe versus what it's worth.

Sent via....

JTCO

Meme King
The residuals on the JL are crazy high so u can get a lease very low. Around here some of the real leases, not the bs ones they sometimes advertise but u cannot actually get, are crazy low.

Sent via....

What's very crazy low? About how much, just a ball park?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sport S w/ auto, cold weather package, remote start, premium audio, 7" radio, remote start, hard top. $349 per month with $600 down.

Sent via....

I just hate having to put money down on a lease to be able to get the price that low.

aug0211

Oh I know it’s a hell of a lot better than a couple k to get a price down. I just hate in general putting money down on a lease.

You could probably keep the cash up front and pay it out each month in an increased payment, right?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You could probably keep the cash up front and pay it out each month in an increased payment, right?

Yea. May old man used to be a general sales manager for a Chevy dealer and said leases were such a scam. The dealer makes big bucks off a lease when the customer puts money down and then returns the jeep at the end of the lease. This is because the. Dealer can sell the car/jeep for more when it’s back in their hands and make more mkney

aug0211

I've never leased but am considering it on a JL.

Reading around a bit, there is some interesting stuff out there where guys are buying out the Wrangler at the end of the lease and selling it for more than the end of lease price - since they market value is commonly higher than the residual value (which is still pretty high).

This nets them a few grand and cuts the cost of the lease basically in half - making it a better deal than you can get owning.

Interesting concept for sure, and no guarantees, of course - but the details in the posts add up and it's a tough deal to beat for someone who wants a new Wrangler every 3 years.