Winch vs Mopar Steel Bumper

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Mopar winch plate on order thru dealership. Dealership said they will install it and winch(XRC Gen 2 9500 w/Synthetic line) for free:beer: I think they are eager to see my JLUR with the lift, wheel and tires they are installing. It's the first JLUR they will be getting in. Gonna stay as much with Mopar as possible for warranty and see how it does.

Your dealership was able to track down a winch plate? Made by Mopar?? Would it be possible for you to get a part number on that?

Also, good luck with that Smittybilt winch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will check further with them, I know they ordered one! So far the Smittybilt winch has alright. Thinking hard about Warn

The problem I've seen with Smittybilt isn't so much that they just flat out suck or will blow up the first time you use them but rather, it's in their quality control. A lot of them work and work well but then, I've seen more than my fair share of them crap out, on the trail and when they were needed most. Even if the odds of getting a bad unit is 1 in a 100, I'd hate to get that 1 and hopefully, yours won't be too.

Thanks for looking into the part number.

GrayBeard

Well crap........ You convinced me, I went ahead and bought a Warn VR10 Winch w/synthetic line :beer:. Figured only want to install once and have quality and reliability on the JLUR. The free spool on the XRC Gen2 never worked properly, so that probably is the beginning of the end.

Pipebndr

Winch plate

Here is the part # in the photo from Mopar

Attachments

• 6FAFAEE0-E66A-4EBF-84AC-1D8152F71D9E.jpg
    6FAFAEE0-E66A-4EBF-84AC-1D8152F71D9E.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 118

offcamber

The problem I've seen with Smittybilt isn't so much that they just flat out suck or will blow up the first time you use them but rather, it's in their quality control. A lot of them work and work well but then, I've seen more than my fair share of them crap out, on the trail and when they were needed most. Even if the odds of getting a bad unit is 1 in a 100, I'd hate to get that 1 and hopefully, yours won't be too.

Thanks for looking into the part number.

My last two Warn's died prematurely. After Warn requiring me to ship my last one to them at my expense for repair, I decided to try a Smittybilt after 4Wheelparts telling me that for an additional $40 i could get a 3 year warranty and if I had a problem just bring it to them and they would replace it. That is much more convenient than dealing with Warn. I figured it wouldnt last long, but I could just take it to the 4Wheel Parts a half mile from my office and get a replacement when it did. 6 years later and several brutal recoveries of large pickups, it has never failed me. It's definitely not the fastest winch, but for the $425 I paid WITH synthetic line its' one of the best buys I've made for my Jeep.

My last two Warn's died prematurely. After Warn requiring me to ship my last one to them at my expense for repair, I decided to try a Smittybilt after 4Wheelparts telling me that for an additional $40 i could get a 3 year warranty and if I had a problem just bring it to them and they would replace it. That is much more convenient than dealing with Warn. I figured it wouldnt last long, but I could just take it to the 4Wheel Parts a half mile from my office and get a replacement when it did. 6 years later and several brutal recoveries of large pickups, it has never failed me. It's definitely not the fastest winch, but for the $425 I paid WITH synthetic line its' one of the best buys I've made for my Jeep.

I paid under 300 bucks for an XRC9500 with synthetic line on Black Friday. Smittybilt has a better warranty than Warn and it is much lighter, at only 46 pounds. I've had a Warn ATV winch fail. I opened it up and it was full of cheap, plastic parts. Everybody had told me how tough the Warn ATV winches were, at the time I bought it. I've also got a 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse store where I can take it and exchange it, if needed. Most of the time, though, that thing will just sit and take up space, so lighter weight was a priority.

I'll buy a virtual beer for whoever is first to mount an XRC on a Mopar plate.

Trainwreck618

What models were your past two Warns? And what was going on with them?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

If it was built in, the bumper would just cost more. You'd be paying for it either way. With all the fuel economy rules weight is critical, that's why it isn't on there from factory. That and 95%+ of people that get the steel bumpers will never install a winch on one.

Sent via....

Fair enough. I definitely understand the penalties for weight. My HD bumpers are not light for sure. And you are correct on people not mounting a winch. I see lots of built and used Jeeps without a winch, maybe not the majority but plenty. But also plenty of mall crawler's with them.

I wonder if the 10A winch plate would work, even if you had to trim it somewhere to make it fit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Which WARN winch did you have? Was it one of their VR series winches? Also, what exactly does "died prematurely" exactly mean? Did you make sure to maintain your winch? I know I'm kind of new to this Jeep thing being that I've only been doing it for about 25+ years but I've never had a single one of my WARN's die period. Hell, the factory installed and heavily abused 8074 that I have on my 1974 CJ-5 still works like the day it was made.

All I can say is that in my limited experience, incidents like what you see at 12:20 in this video are what I've seen happen with Smittybilt winches.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I paid under 300 bucks for an XRC9500 with synthetic line on Black Friday. Smittybilt has a better warranty than Warn and it is much lighter, at only 46 pounds. I've had a Warn ATV winch fail. I opened it up and it was full of cheap, plastic parts. Everybody had told me how tough the Warn ATV winches were, at the time I bought it. I've also got a 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse store where I can take it and exchange it, if needed. Most of the time, though, that thing will just sit and take up space, so lighter weight was a priority.

I'll buy a virtual beer for whoever is first to mount an XRC on a Mopar plate.

I have no experience with WARN ATV winches so I couldn't speak with any authority on them. Likewise, I do know that not all of their winches are made in the USA and of those, I would not recommend. That being said, I have personally seen their premium line of winches made in Oregon and with quality parts. NONE of the ones I have ever owned have ever let me down. For me, the best kind of warranty is the one that I never have to use.

Jasper

JCR offorad now has the winch plate available for the JL steel bumper that will accept most all winches. I just picked up a Smittybuilt X20 synthetic and oredered my plate

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
JCR offorad now has the winch plate available for the JL steel bumper that will accept most all winches. I just picked up a Smittybuilt X20 synthetic and oredered my plate

I new to all this Jeep stuff and clearly don't have the wealth of off road knowledge that you've proclaimed to have but in my limited experience, I have never seen Smittybilt or even JCR products hold up well on the trail.

Jasper

i new to all this jeep stuff and clearly don't have the wealth of off road knowledge that you've proclaimed to have but in my limited experience, i have never seen smittybilt or even jcr products hold up well on the trail.

1st off being a sarcastic az will get you no where with me!!!!!!!! Some moderator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get over yourself and realize this is a public forum!!!!!! You need to check yourself fast!!!!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1st off being a sarcastic az will get you no where with me!!!!!!!! Some moderator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get over yourself and realize this is a public forum!!!!!! You need to check yourself fast!!!!!!

1st off, I wasn't trying to get anywhere with you!!!! I am NOT a "moderator", I am the OWNER of this website!!!! You need to get over yourself and realize that this is a PRIVATE forum that I graciously allow you to use for FREE. You need to re-read the rules you were required to agree to in order to become a member here fast!!!! As you will see, it clearly states that your ability to be a member here is "a privilege and not a right"

https://jlwrangler.com/faq.php?faq=rulesfaq#faq_guidelines

Thank you and have a good weekend :cool:

JTCO

Meme King

I can see the internet is a tough place for you. Maybe you need to step back and take your hands off of the computer for a little bit. I'm really concerned of how you would handle a real crisis.