LoD Bumpers

mnrafter

We purchased LoD bumpers and rock rails for our 2013 JK Rubicon. We had then powder coated. Beware, this is not a true protectant. I highly suggest that you have them Line-X coated, or painted. After just one winter season here in Minnesota, they showed signs of rust. Now, 4 years later they look like crap. Do not get me wrong, LoD has a great product. We were just not warned that this would happen. In hind sight, would I have known, I would have had them coated prior to installing them on our JK.

I did contact LoD about this concern. I sent them photos. Their solution was to remove them, send them back, and they would sandblast them and return them. For me, that was not feasible. Not only the hassle, cost of shipping would have been astronomical, and the fact that we would have not been able to drive the vehicle without these, This was not an option for us!

I just highly suggest you do your research on coatings applied on aftermarket steel.

13_gecko_rubi

We purchased LoD bumpers and rock rails for our 2013 JK Rubicon. We had then powder coated. Beware, this is not a true protectant. I highly suggest that you have them Line-X coated, or painted. After just one winter season here in Minnesota, they showed signs of rust. Now, 4 years later they look like crap. Do not get me wrong, LoD has a great product. We were just not warned that this would happen. In hind sight, would I have known, I would have had them coated prior to installing them on our JK.

I did contact LoD about this concern. I sent them photos. Their solution was to remove them, send them back, and they would sandblast them and return them. For me, that was not feasible. Not only the hassle, cost of shipping would have been astronomical, and the fact that we would have not been able to drive the vehicle without these, This was not an option for us!

I just highly suggest you do your research on coatings applied on aftermarket steel.

You ordered them power coat d or had it done locally?

Living in the salt belt I always get mine bare and have them powder coated locally using a zinc primer then color powder. Holds up great. Just as good if not better than any paint or other coating would. If u drive in winter u need to use really good coatings, this isn’t really the manufacturers issue, it is a where u live issue.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

mnrafter

You ordered them power coat d or had it done locally?

Living in the salt belt I always get mine bare and have them powder coated locally using a zinc primer then color powder. Holds up great. Just as good if not better than any paint or other coating would. If u drive in winter u need to use really good coatings, this isn’t really the manufacturers issue, it is a where u live issue.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

We ordered them powder coated. I just wish I would have known that they would degrade as fast they did. My only complaint for the manufacturer would be to inform the buyer.