Lifting JL - not this time.

Rubiman_JL

After having my JL Rubicon for over 2 weeks, I have to say this one will not be getting a lift. This is my 5th Jeep (3rd 4 door) and it drives amazing. 33s stock (about time) is all you really need for basic off roading, larger wheel well is key.

Check out wayalifes run with his stock JL,very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Poordad

I was thinking the same thing. It will work for me, for the most part, bone stock. I do want to get one of those trick pop up hard top tents. That will be the biggest mod I have planned.

JTCO

Meme King
If I end up getting one, I'll likely do the same. I would like to try to fit some 37s on it stock, no lift. Then trim the fenders, add some bump stock extensions, a regear and call it good.

dbungard

I agree. Nearly all of the tweaks I made to my JKU -- steel bumpers, winch, taller springs to deal with the added bumper and winch weight, etc come with the JLU now. Jeep did a good job of listening to their customers and addressing weaknesses in the JK. 33's are a great size tire from the factory, but taking 35s without any lifts is impressive - I won't, but many will. My only plans are to drop a winch into the factory steel bumper, and figure out a roof rack solution and then I'm good for my overland style of off-roading.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After having my JL Rubicon for over 2 weeks, I have to say this one will not be getting a lift. This is my 5th Jeep (3rd 4 door) and it drives amazing. 33s stock (about time) is all you really need for basic off roading, larger wheel well is key.

Check out wayalifes run with his stock JL,very impressive.

It's interesting that you'd say this because we just got back from a 925 mile road trip in our JL that included a significant amount of off-roading across Death Valley. Once again, Cindy and I were simply amazed at how well it handled and more importantly, how comfortable it felt. We were literally giving some of our friends a run for their money and they have coil overs. The experience really made us feel pained to build up our JL :crazyeyes:

Rubiman_JL

It's interesting that you'd say this because we just got back from a 925 mile road trip in our JL that included a significant amount of off-roading across Death Valley. Once again, Cindy and I were simply amazed at how well it handled and more importantly, how comfortable it felt. We were literally giving some of our friends a run for their money and they have coil overs. The experience really made us feel pained to build up our JL :crazyeyes:

Every time I drive the JL I can’t believe how comfortable the ride is BUT then locked and engaged the thing is a beast. Maybe I’m just getting older...

RMC2

This all good to know stuff, unless you are looking for reasons not to buy a JL. I need to spend more time on Wayalife instead of here. :doh:

Back In Black

My plan is to see how it performs out in Moab this year at Easter Jeep Safari. I will try rated 7 trails (35" tires needed), especially Kane Creek. If this thing can handle that I will refrain from pulling the trigger on the lift and 35" KO2. But there is a part of me feels like I need to lift it - it's like an addiction...:yup::yup::yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My plan is to see how it performs out in Moab this year at Easter Jeep Safari. I will try rated 7 trails (35" tires needed), especially Kane Creek. If this thing can handle that I will refrain from pulling the trigger on the lift and 35" KO2. But there is a part of me feels like I need to lift it - it's like an addiction...:yup::yup::yup:

I've seen stock JKU's run Kane Creek. The JL will do it without too much trouble too. That being said, 35's will make it easier.

Jr’s Jeep

This all good to know stuff, unless you are looking for reasons not to buy a JL. I need to spend more time on Wayalife instead of here. :doh:

I’m with you, I need to stay off this forum. I traded my JKUR last year for a GC Trail Hawk cause I wanted something a bit more comfortable on the long rides and the Trail Hawk has been more than capable enough on the trails I like to run, but the more I’m on this forum... [emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

I was impressed seeing how fast you were going with that stock thing.

mac214

This is exactly what I was planning to do, just drive as-is. Then today I did two things:
First I shopped for replacement tires for my truck (planning on BFG AT KO2s).
Second I looked at the Jeep website again to pass time, since I’m waiting till after I move to purchase.

In doing these two things, I realized that the stock Rubi tires are the same size as my truck tires. Well now I’d be silly to buy tires for my truck, that money would be better spent on a 2.5” EVO lift and 35’s, right? Sounds logical to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMC2

This is exactly what I was planning to do, just drive as-is. Then today I did two things:
Second I looked at the Jeep website again to pass time, since I’m waiting till after I move to purchase.

In doing these two things, I realized that the stock Rubi tires are the same size as my truck tires. Well now I’d be silly to buy tires for my truck, that money would be better spent on a 2.5” EVO lift and 35’s, right? Sounds logical to me!

Sound logic

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Sounds logical to me :D

thblkprl

Completely sound logic.

I'd say that could even pass a cursory wife inspection.