Tiny Ram 700 Pick-Up... Maybe the New Jeep Pick-Up Someday?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the rumors were true and as you can see in the AllPar article below, a new Ram 700 has been built off of the Fiat Strada platform and will be available for sale in Mexico. And, as some of you know, there has been a lot of rumors about a new Jeep truck coming out someday and, one does have to wonder if it will share the same platform as well. Certainly, it wouldn't be far fetched for FCA to do. My question to you is, would you still buy it?

The Tiny Ram 700 Pickup Truck Can Carry More Than Half A Ton
By Andrew P. Collins
aew8sowrpvobybtaqizn.jpg

Ram has been rumored to be preparing a very small pickup truck based on the Fiat Strada platform, and they've done exactly that. Here's the Ram 700; an economy-car based front-wheel-drive utility vehicle with a 1,500 pound payload capacity.

Single and extended-cab versions of the 700 will be sold in Mexico, where it will compete with the Chevrolet Tornado and Volkswagen Saveiro. Ram 700s will come out of the same Brazilian factory where the Fiat Strada is made.
by7oqaipsdqoebwcv4ob.jpg

The stripped working-man's model starts at $14,000, with the cladded-up "adventure version" starting closer to $18,000. Both are front-wheel-drive only, running a 115 horsepower 1.6 engine that Allpar.com says is derived from the old Neon powerplant.

Allpar also has some "in person" pictures that give you a better idea of what the short-cab looks like, and are worth checking out.

jnap8ttdpjowjshd2aht.jpg

The extended "adventure" version has an optional locking differential and an a digital inclinometer if you're brave enough to take it off-road.

ukeb7dwshizwfbtmerq8.jpg

Here's the system in action:

The name "750" was initially rumored to be the badging (because "half a 1500") but they ended up going with "700" to identify a payload capacity of 705 kilograms, or around 1,500 pounds. Not bad for something that looks like it could fit in the bed of what we call a "mid-sized" truck in America.

See whole article here:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-t...k-can-carry-more-than-half-1652291667/+travis

My heart is set on a Wrangler based truck, which Jeep has alluded to being available on the next gen Wrangler platform. I honestly could not see this wearing a Jeep badge, or at least not with some serious restyling. Maybe a mid sized Ram? Either way, I'm not liking the looks of this one.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app