Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UNDER the JL WRANGLER RUBICON : A Look at Suspension / Steering Components & MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by Four Flusher View Post
    Great information, surely a lot of work for you two but hopefully a labor of love. Just for fun do you have any pictures of your beat up stock skids on your JKs?
    LOL!! Gotta rack it up again but the only thing that really got hit was the driver side frame rail, transfer case skid bar and rock slider. I don't think anything else got hit.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    Wow! Great detail! Thanks for doing that.
    You bet, glad you're liking what you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellico View Post
    That is the skid plate/armor for the font axle disconnect (FAD) motor.

To be honest, I was less than excited to see this type of axle disconnect added on the JL. Electrical issues at the motor contacts, followIng water crossings or too much jarring around, have plagued FADs on recent generations of Toyota Tacomas. If there is a break in the circuit, you can shift into 4WD but the computer canít join the axle shaft and you still only have 2WD. I have always said, ďIím glad Wranglers donít have to deal with that headache.Ē ...

Who knows, maybe Jeep engineering has produced a very reliable, well-built unit but I still donít like the idea of having a mechanical transfer case lever and then still relying on a computer and electrical harness to get your Jeep into 4WD. I guess itís the same risk as having electronic lockers, but at the end of the day, when thereís already plenty of stuff to break on the trail, itís one additional electrical harness that I would rather do without. Lockout hubs are a better way to get to better MPGs and isolating the front driveline during 2WD, but thatís asking a lot from Jeep on a new vehicle. Iím sure they considered lockout hubs, but the costs probably didnít add up for a vehicle that is already expensive. There was a reason Jeep went away from this after the YJ and it looks like they only brought it back to get better MPGs.
    Anyways, thereís my rant on the FAD. We will know how they are holding up by the end of this year Iím sure!

Thanks for the breakdown and detail, wayalife!
    The FAD is something even the Jeep engineers fought to keep off the JL. Not exactly thrilled with having it but know there are companies working to get around it.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The FAD is something even the Jeep engineers fought to keep off the JL. Not exactly thrilled with having it but know there are companies working to get around it.
    I would think a single solid shaft is on somebody's drawing board. I hope the axle tube is solid with just a notch cut in it for the FAD, versus two tubes connected by the FAD housing. That way the axle doesn't really have a weak spot there, or not too much.

And yes, somebody will definitely rip off your photos.
    Matt

Do the speed bumps at the mall count as crawlin?

N.S.D.Q.!

13 JKUR - white, 09 JKUR - white (sold), stock 85 CJ7 - red
    6 other 4x4 trucks (but only have 1 now).

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hellcat2You View Post
    I know for sure the black plastic thing is the part of the blind spot monitoring system. I haven't seen it outfitted on a non LED Jeep yet though. It always seems to be on the LED equipped JLs.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    The housing is the same yes but unless u get the safety group the actual blind spot electronics are not in there.

Sent via....

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC2 View Post
    I would think a single solid shaft is on somebody's drawing board. I hope the axle tube is solid with just a notch cut in it for the FAD, versus two tubes connected by the FAD housing. That way the axle doesn't really have a weak spot there, or not too much.

And yes, somebody will definitely rip off your photos.
    It is two tubes connected by the fad housing but I wouldn't call that a weak link. It's a heavy duty cast housing like the diff.

You can still run a single piece shaft which I know folks are working on. You just need to trick fad (not hard with a relay) and take the synchro/interlock out of tcase.

Sent via....

Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    It is two tubes connected by the fad housing but I wouldn't call that a weak link. It's a heavy duty cast housing like the diff.

You can still run a single piece shaft which I know folks are working on. You just need to trick fad (not hard with a relay) and take the synchro/interlock out of tcase.

Sent via....
    It is great having you around. I am sure it tough at times, staying quiet because you can't share everything you know.

This sounds more complicated than I thought. Hopefully the cast section holds up.
    Matt

Do the speed bumps at the mall count as crawlin?

N.S.D.Q.!

13 JKUR - white, 09 JKUR - white (sold), stock 85 CJ7 - red
    6 other 4x4 trucks (but only have 1 now).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234