JL JOURNAL : First Drive - Taking our JL Wrangler Rubicon out for a Drive

NFRs2000NYC

Did you guys get rid of the renegade?? Also, the start/stop sounded intrusive as hell. It was 2 cranks and a start, hardly seamless. I really hope the tuners have a workaround to disable it.

frenchjk

welcome to s/s bs.....All the ones here with the diesel 2.8 eventually break down staying on (luckily-it takes a dealer flash to reset them, must be an electrical or software gremlin: the feature is battery, engine and outside temp, hvac sensitive.... ) but other than that detail I'm sold!!

white rubi swb in US trim to be imported.

LoD Offroad

Advertiser
Supporter
Wow Eddie, great video! You make a pretty good narrator, and it was very well put together :thumb:

Being that Cindy and I ordered our brand new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited sight unseen and well before any dealership had one on their lot, neither of us has had a chance to test drive one or at least, not until we took possession of it. In this episode of the JL Journal, you'll get to ride along with us as we take our JL out for its very first drive, up to Lake Tahoe and you'll even get to hear some of our initial impressions of it. We hope you enjoy.

JL JOURNAL is a WAYALIFE Production with a focus on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler. This YouTube video series will highlight every aspect of our Jeep JL Wrangler and of course, all the adventures that it takes us on. We hope that you'll follow us along on our journey.

JeepFan

Great first drive report! Funny about the heated seats and steering wheel. We noticed the same thing. Seats and steering wheel heat up very fast. The high default on setting almost seems too hot. Actually the drivers heated seat and steering wheel will active if the climate control is set to auto and the outside temp is relatively low. We turned that feature off in the climate control settings. ;)

We actually love the smooth acceleration and the steering response feels great! So far Steph and I love what Jeep has done with the all new Jeep Wrangler JL. Did you get your 4WD pages for the infotainment system yet?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you guys get rid of the renegade?? Also, the start/stop sounded intrusive as hell. It was 2 cranks and a start, hardly seamless. I really hope the tuners have a workaround to disable it.

We did. We would have kept it if there were real aftermarket support for it but being that there isn't, the Renegade was a dead end. Even for a daily driver, we weren't too fond of it being that it didn't get substantially better MPG and the fuel tank was way too small. We were literally filling up as often as our JK's and that was getting old.

welcome to s/s bs.....All the ones here with the diesel 2.8 eventually break down staying on (luckily-it takes a dealer flash to reset them, must be an electrical or software gremlin: the feature is battery, engine and outside temp, hvac sensitive.... ) but other than that detail I'm sold!!

white rubi swb in US trim to be imported.

The start stop is literally the ONE thing that we're having a hard time getting used to. Instinctively, every time the motor shuts off I think "what happened!". :rolleyes2:

Wow Eddie, great video! You make a pretty good narrator, and it was very well put together :thumb:

Thank you, we're so glad that you liked the video. :cool:

Great first drive report! Funny about the heated seats and steering wheel. We noticed the same thing. Seats and steering wheel heat up very fast. The high default on setting almost seems too hot. Actually the drivers heated seat and steering wheel will active if the climate control is set to auto and the outside temp is relatively low. We turned that feature off in the climate control settings. ;)

We actually love the smooth acceleration and the steering response feels great! So far Steph and I love what Jeep has done with the all new Jeep Wrangler JL. Did you get your 4WD pages for the infotainment system yet?

LOL!! Too funny about the heated seats and steering wheel. I literally had turned on the AC thinking maybe it was just hot out but eventually realized that there was something else going on :crazyeyes:

No off road pages for our infotainment yet. How about you? Hoping our dealership will have a flash by the time our new hard top comes in.

JTCO

Meme King
The start stop is literally the ONE thing that we're having a hard time getting used to. Instinctively, every time the motor shuts off I think "what happened!". :rolleyes2:

Isn't there a button to bypass it? I thought I read that recently for some reason.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In the cluster using the steering wheel arrows you can turn on the gear indicator. I forget exactly which setting it is but it will show up right beside the D. I think it may even be called gear indicator.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LOL!! And here I was thinking you were being sarcastic. It was exactly as you said and there is a number next to the "D" to show you what gear you're in. :crazyeyes: :D

RockingK

Nice job

Great first look. That is funny about the gear indicator option. I have a Ram 1500 with the 8speed and love it. It is the smoothest shifting transmission, almost intuitive up and downhill automatic shifting, I use manual mode on the tighter downhill roads but on cruise, it holds and shifts great!. Thanks for another ride!👍

RMC2

This was a fun video, honestly. I could literally feel your excitement for your JL. And that is remarkable considering your Jeep stable and experience. :yup:

The heated seats part cracked me up, since I have done that to my wife on purpose. Then the after video was really cute. I have said it repeatedly, you are killing me with this JL. :cheesy: (this is me crying)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This was a fun video, honestly. I could literally feel your excitement for your JL. And that is remarkable considering your Jeep stable and experience. :yup:

The heated seats part cracked me up, since I have done that to my wife on purpose. Then the after video was really cute. I have said it repeatedly, you are killing me with this JL. :cheesy: (this is me crying)

Well, we're glad that you don't think our videos are cheesy. What you see is what you get and this is who we are :yup:

RMC2

Well, we're glad that you don't think our videos are cheesy. What you see is what you get and this is who we are :yup:

Nope, not cheesy. I always look forward to seeing them, or watching them again. Even when they make me jealous.

Pipebndr

Expensive Video

Great forum, have owned five Jeeps, just sold 100% original 1943 GPW. (Parade Vehicle) and said no more Jeeps, bought a motorhome.
After watching the video, I had too have one. Identical to yours Eddie but I could not afford all the options. I passed on the cigarette lighter and ash tray, couldn’t fit that in the budget.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Great forum, have owned five Jeeps, just sold 100% original 1943 GPW. (Parade Vehicle) and said no more Jeeps, bought a motorhome.
After watching the video, I had too have one. Identical to yours Eddie but I could not afford all the options. I passed on the cigarette lighter and ash tray, couldn’t fit that in the budget.

What?! Why would you do that? Post some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app