Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission DOA

Fresh Catch

Unhappy Transmission DOA

Sadly, my brand new JL (took delivery last Friday) is in the shop with a substantial transmission leak. It failed inspection yesterday because of the leak - I had it towed to the dealer. The tow driver had a hard time getting it into reverse, but we got it there. Turns out there's a leak from the transmission pan. The undercarriage was soaked with transmission fluid. Not something I'd expect of a Jeep with 285 miles on it (it had 150 when I took delivery). Any advice on how to deal with this? She's pretty, but she's broken...IMG_2348.jpg

Welcome. That's why you have the warranty. Yes it does suck, but those things happen. Did they say that the pan itself was leaking or the gasket?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Welcome. That's why you have the warranty. Yes it does suck, but those things happen. Did they say that the pan itself was leaking or the gasket?
    They're taking it apart today so see what's going on, but it appears to be the gasket. I'd agree regarding the warranty if I had put some miles on it, but the transmission was clearly defective when it was delivered. The thought of drivetrain issues before I even get to drive it is haunting. I have no way of knowing how much internal damage has been done, but it got bad enough that it wasn't going into reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Seansun01 View Post
    They're taking it apart today so see what's going on, but it appears to be the gasket. I'd agree regarding the warranty if I had put some miles on it, but the transmission was clearly defective when it was delivered. The thought of drivetrain issues before I even get to drive it is haunting. I have no way of knowing how much internal damage has been done, but it got bad enough that it wasn't going into reverse.
    Automatic transmissions are hydraulic, so it's possible it stopped moving once the fluid got low enough. Hopefully they'll get it taken care of for you and quickly. Make sure after they repair it that they really test drive it extensively to ensure that there is no internal damage. But hopefully they'll just fix the leak, fill it up, and all will be good again.

You bought a new vehicle with 150 miles on it?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    You bought a new vehicle with 150 miles on it?

It had to be driven up from RI and then it was delivered to my home, which is about 40 miles from the dealership. So yep, it had 151 miles on it when I took delivery. I wasn't thrilled, but they didn't have any in stock wth the color and options I wanted.

Either way it falls under warranty. The dealer will make it right

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    It happens. It should be covered. Itís a pain, when something like that happens, though.

Well that's a bummer. If you need additional assistance, the member JeepCares here on the forum should be able to help you out. Please contact them via PM if needed.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Well that's a bummer. If you need additional assistance, the member JeepCares here on the forum should be able to help you out. Please contact them via PM if needed.
    Awesome! Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast