JL stock Spare Carrier vs 35s

13_gecko_rubi

Bit confused here [emoji15]

Am I correct in understanding that on a NON-Rubi, the tailgate and carrier are strong enough to support reasonable 35s, BUT the carrier is not positioned to allow it (blocking of 3rd brake light, I assume)?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Correct. Except it isn't a blocking the 3rd brake light thing. The carrier in Sport/Sahara is actually lower (different carrier) so tire will hit bumper and not allow gate to shut. Need a Rubicon carrier or adapter to move carrier up.

Sent via....

TadL5

Correct. Except it isn't a blocking the 3rd brake light thing. The carrier in Sport/Sahara is actually lower (different carrier) so tire will hit bumper and not allow gate to shut. Need a Rubicon carrier or adapter to move carrier up.

Sent via....

Do you know of 33" would work on the stock Sport?

aug0211

Sent via....

Quick follow up on this one. If it’s rated for 85 lbs, won’t we have issues? Most 35s are what, 65-75 lbs? Then add wheels and you’re right around 100 lbs...

Amric

If you can properly modify the rubber tire isolators, to keep the tire from wiggling, it should hold.

So how many pounds do we think it can handle, and does Mopar have the rating documented anywhere? And what about with the reinforcement bracket. I was hoping to mount a tire and possibly rotopax or hi-lift, but not sure what it can actually handle weight wise.