JL stock Spare Carrier vs 35s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A 35" tire should fit just fine or at least, so far as I can tell. The 3rd brake light is adjustable so it can be raised up to accommodate the bigger diameter and the back up camera goes through the center of the wheel.

GrayBeard

A 35" tire should fit just fine or at least, so far as I can tell. The 3rd brake light is adjustable so it can be raised up to accommodate the bigger diameter and the back up camera goes through the center of the wheel.
Cool, that's what I was thinking too, but a Jeep dealership didn't think so. I know everyone is still figuring out the JLs.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

Rubinot, where are you getting your JLUR?

I need a good dealership around here, especially the mechanics. I am just south of you near Zona Rosa/south of the airport.

13_gecko_rubi

A 35 will fit perfectly IF YOU HAVE A RUBICON. If you have a Sport or Sahara it will not fit. The spare tire carrier was lowered for visibility but was left high enough on the Rubicon to still fit a 35. One of the many small differences between the Rubicon and others.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

justin mazzon

A 35 will fit perfectly IF YOU HAVE A RUBICON. If you have a Sport or Sahara it will not fit. The spare tire carrier was lowered for visibility but was left high enough on the Rubicon to still fit a 35. One of the many small differences between the Rubicon and others.

Even if it does fit my question is will the carrier hold it long term or will you have to upgrade to an aftermarket part?

13_gecko_rubi

Even if it does fit my question is will the carrier hold it long term or will you have to upgrade to an aftermarket part?
The JL tailgate is cast magnesium structure with an aluminum outter skin. It was beefed up quite a bit for both the spare and fact that the trail rail on inside is rated to hold 85 lbs. A 35 should be no issue on the stock carrier. Just make sure it is tight against gate so it doesn't vibrate.

Sent via....

GrayBeard

Rubinot, where are you getting your JLUR?

I need a good dealership around here, especially the mechanics. I am just south of you near Zona Rosa/south of the airport.

I used Behlmann Jeep in Troy Missouri. They have a excellent reputation and the service department is 90+% Jeepers. I think they are best Jeep dealership in the St. Louis area and definitely the best service department . If your looking for a great after market shop, then try Axleboy in O'Fallon MO. Those are the ONLY two places I trust to work on my Jeep

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Yup. The JK and the TJ before. If the sidewall doesn't make full contact with the isolators, the spare will jiggle and cause damage.

My tailgate is jacked up from not being properly isolated. I did it for probably 30k miles with a 37 just because. I knew I needed to do something but by the time I was about to it was too late. I still trust the factory tailgate over that teraflex garbage. My tire never fell off. Just about all the plug welds are cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

My tailgate is jacked up from not being properly isolated. I did it for probably 30k miles with a 37 just because. I knew I needed to do something but by the time I was about to it was too late. I still trust the factory tailgate over that teraflex garbage. My tire never fell off. Just about all the plug welds are cracked.

Ya the gate itself on the JL is much more rigid, there aren’t any spot welds. It’s cast magnesium.

Eddie if u get a chance take a picture of the tailgate latch area on the inside, that’s best place to see how thick it is. Looks like 1/4”.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya the gate itself on the JL is much more rigid, there aren’t any spot welds. It’s cast magnesium.

Eddie if u get a chance take a picture of the tailgate latch area on the inside, that’s best place to see how thick it is. Looks like 1/4”.

You got it :yup:

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

EDIT : You said latch area. Be right back :crazyeyes:

RMC2

This Jeep has a ton of little upgrades that most will never even know about. I think the hardcore Jeep engineers won the day over the bean counters.

Of course we pay for it in the end. If I am ever allowed to get one that is.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

aug0211

Bit confused here [emoji15]

Am I correct in understanding that on a NON-Rubi, the tailgate and carrier are strong enough to support reasonable 35s, BUT the carrier is not positioned to allow it (blocking of 3rd brake light, I assume)?