JL Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)

Unfortunately not. But on my JKU I protected the 2nd windshield with 3M's Protective film against stones and cracks. It's the best and it's crystal clear.

Not to hijack the thread, but please tell me more about this film. Where can I find info on it? How does it behave with windshield wipers? (I know you don't have to worry much about rain in Egypt, but here in Indiana, USA, we're getting Biblical amounts of rain right now! :eek:) I'd like to know if it has a hazy streak when wiped, like Rain-X does.

Thanks!

aug0211

Here’s some decent info:

https://www.tintworld.com/services/...r-protection-film/windshield-film-protection/

No issues with wipers on the windshield protection. This stuff is very commonly applied to high end vehicles like Ferrari’s, Lambos, etc.

My father owns a company that specializes in this (he has 30+ years of experience in the industry). Closely related to window tint (essentially, the industry was always focused on tint - then technology got good enough for the clear coat protective films to be fully clear and truly invisible, and then the tint industry started doing the protective films).

Let me know where you’re located and if you want, I can ask my dad for a recommended shop near you.

FWIW - I had the body protection done on my JK, and skipped the windshield. Had a broken windshield within 12 months of ownership.

I’ll be protecting the windshield on my JL and every Wrangler I own from here on out - it’s a savings over having to replace a windshield.

Interesting. Not super excited to read this.

I've only noticed it in gusty conditions. Otherwise, it is fine. Besides, 95% of the time I've got the Alpine cranked up. Another 4% of the time, I've got kids yacking away, so no biggie. The soft top is going on for summer soon, too.

Here’s some decent info:

https://www.tintworld.com/services/...r-protection-film/windshield-film-protection/

No issues with wipers on the windshield protection. This stuff is very commonly applied to high end vehicles like Ferrari’s, Lambos, etc.

My father owns a company that specializes in this (he has 30+ years of experience in the industry). Closely related to window tint (essentially, the industry was always focused on tint - then technology got good enough for the clear coat protective films to be fully clear and truly invisible, and then the tint industry started doing the protective films).

Let me know where you’re located and if you want, I can ask my dad for a recommended shop near you.

FWIW - I had the body protection done on my JK, and skipped the windshield. Had a broken windshield within 12 months of ownership.

I’ll be protecting the windshield on my JL and every Wrangler I own from here on out - it’s a savings over having to replace a windshield.

I'm in Danville, Indiana, near Indianapolis, so an Indianapolis or almost anywhere near west of it would work.

strifehero

I've only noticed it in gusty conditions. Otherwise, it is fine. Besides, 95% of the time I've got the Alpine cranked up. Another 4% of the time, I've got kids yacking away, so no biggie. The soft top is going on for summer soon, too.

Fair. Probably pretty similar to my use too. Only there are times I want quiet. As I said - this will be my 5th Wrangler, so evidence that I am indeed getting old. At least I still love the solid/stout feel! And do want to be able to and plan to go anywhere.

Onlyone

Fair. Probably pretty similar to my use too. Only there are times I want quiet. As I said - this will be my 5th Wrangler, so evidence that I am indeed getting old. At least I still love the solid/stout feel! And do want to be able to and plan to go anywhere.

I removed the tops today even as cold as it was. I adjusted the two front brackets. Before, it seemed the tops were a bit above the windshield where they meet in the middle. I snugged them up just a bit more, evening them up and took it for a ride. It does seem to have helped the noise. We had some serious wind today. Like skinr said. Worse in really bad wind but the Alpine system is terrific.

desertbuzz

Not to hijack the thread, but please tell me more about this film. Where can I find info on it? How does it behave with windshield wipers? (I know you don't have to worry much about rain in Egypt, but here in Indiana, USA, we're getting Biblical amounts of rain right now! :eek:) I'd like to know if it has a hazy streak when wiped, like Rain-X does.

Thanks!

It is absolutely crystal clear with virtually no change in visibility. It doesn't have any effect on the operation of windshield wipers, no streaking or anything. They work like it's not there. I can't answer you about RainX though... as I have not tried (not much use here)
Worth saying that I also have installed 3M's Crystalline 70 solar film installed on the windshield and 2 front door windows. It is unbelievable how much cooler the JK is ... and during those road trips, when the sun is hitting your arms or legs ... you feel no heat as it blocks most of the infrared and UV. The dashboard stays cool as well.
Solar film installs from the inside, so my windshield has TWO films on it ... and I can BARELY tell.
Look up installers in indiana... I did a quick search and found this https://www.facebook.com/kingswindowtint/

Cheers :)

desertbuzz

Do you have to turn the ANC on or is it on by default? Couldn't find it anywhere in the settings in my Rubi's infotainment.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

If you have the Alpine premium system it's there ... and it's ON by default (there's no off) ... The only way to compare how effective it is, is to compare it with a JL without the premium sound system... therefore also without the acoustic glass windshield.

JKJKJKJLJL

In my experience fwiw.... :twocents: The Alpine system sounds amazing, however, the slightest drizzle of rain hitting the hard top sounds like a hail storm when inside the Jeep. (Has anyone else noticed this?) This is no doubt due to the hard top fiberglass panels being lighter and thinner than the JK fiberglass panels. I have plenty of experience to draw from. I've owned 3 JK's. Now I have 2 JL's both with the alpine system. This is the first I've read of the ANC . I didn't realize it was even there but it makes sense now. The sound of the rain hitting the top without audio playing or when the head unit is turned off is pretty loud. I wonder if the sound of the rain will seem to disappear when the system is on and cranking out some music and not just drown out the rain. I will definitely pay more attention to this now. :thinking:

aug0211

In my experience fwiw.... :twocents: The Alpine system sounds amazing, however, the slightest drizzle of rain hitting the hard top sounds like a hail storm when inside the Jeep. (Has anyone else noticed this?) This is no doubt due to the hard top fiberglass panels being lighter and thinner than the JK fiberglass panels. I have plenty of experience to draw from. I've owned 3 JK's. Now I have 2 JL's both with the alpine system. This is the first I've read of the ANC . I didn't realize it was even there but it makes sense now. The sound of the rain hitting the top without audio playing or when the head unit is turned off is pretty loud. I wonder if the sound of the rain will seem to disappear when the system is on and cranking out some music and not just drown out the rain. I will definitely pay more attention to this now. :thinking:

This post has me confused. Is the ANC only active when music is on? Or when the HU is on (with or without music, but HU on)? Or even when the HU is “off” (screen off)?

My impression had been that the ANC was separate from the music and would run independently. Maybe that’s not the case?

desertbuzz

This post has me confused. Is the ANC only active when music is on? Or when the HU is on (with or without music, but HU on)? Or even when the HU is “off” (screen off)?

My impression had been that the ANC was separate from the music and would run independently. Maybe that’s not the case?

We do need more info on that ....

I’ve been AMAZED at how quiet my JL is and I have the Alpine & a hardtop. I didn’t catch all the marketing abou the ANS & windshield treatment, but I’m glad I ticked those boxes now. The JL Sahara is positioned as a premium SUV, so if you’re going to put it up against the other 45-50K competitors it’ll need to be quiet. Let’s do some science! Just pull the fuse for the Apline amp and that should give you the difference.

aug0211

I’ve been AMAZED at how quiet my JL is and I have the Alpine & a hardtop. I didn’t catch all the marketing abou the ANS & windshield treatment, but I’m glad I ticked those boxes now. The JL Sahara is positioned as a premium SUV, so if you’re going to put it up against the other 45-50K competitors it’ll need to be quiet. Let’s do some science! Just pull the fuse for the Apline amp and that should give you the difference.

Great idea. Mind testing it? My JLU hasn’t been build yet :(

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

desertbuzz

Thanks!

Though it doesn't rain much here but dust is a problem, so wipers are still very much used together with spray nozzles to clean the windshield. It's been almost 5 years since the application and the film is untouched (as good as new) ... no steaks, no scratches, no yellowing or change in visibility.
I was told that it is used to protect the outer edge of helicopter rotor blades from impacts.
As for where to find it, I guess you'd need to google it. A good place to start would be the 3M.com website and find a dealer near you by typing in your zipcode.

I’ve done a bit of reading on the Grand Cherokee’s ANC system as it’s probably nearly identical. It’s always always active & if you look in the sport bar by the speakers you can see where the mics are. It uses the sub to create counter-sound waves to deaden some low end rumble. Some audiophiles on a grand Cherokee forum talked about how to disable the mics to shut it off because if you change the speakers it’s no longer tuned correctly & you can hear it. They were arguing that if the sub & system is doing this work it was taking away from the ability to produce pristine music.

I’ve done a bit of reading on the Grand Cherokee’s ANC system as it’s probably nearly identical. It’s always always active & if you look in the sport bar by the speakers you can see where the mics are. It uses the sub to create counter-sound waves to deaden some low end rumble. Some audiophiles on a grand Cherokee forum talked about how to disable the mics to shut it off because if you change the speakers it’s no longer tuned correctly & you can hear it. They were arguing that if the sub & system is doing this work it was taking away from the ability to produce pristine music.

I hate to break it to those guys, but the compression in their digital music does more to degrade the pristine sound quality than that ANC system would ever do. They need to go find a record player and some Bang and Olfson speakers if they can truly detect that level of sound quality, and forget about music in a vehicle.

desertbuzz

I hate to break it to those guys, but the compression in their digital music does more to degrade the pristine sound quality than that ANC system would ever do. They need to go find a record player and some Bang and Olfson speakers if they can truly detect that level of sound quality, and forget about music in a vehicle.

Exactly my thoughts too when I read this. I laughed.
I find it a counter intuitive searching for audio purity & quality in a vehicle no matter how high end that vehicle is... it's still a rolling metal box on the road.
For the pursuit of sound quality, I'd much rather invest in my home audio equipment as well as improving the audio quality / properties of the room itself.