JL Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)

Erockhopper

however, the slightest drizzle of rain hitting the hard top sounds like a hail storm when inside the Jeep. (Has anyone else noticed this?) This is no doubt due to the hard top fiberglass panels being lighter and thinner than the JK fiberglass panels. I have plenty of experience to draw from. I've owned 3 JK's. Now I have 2 JL's both with the alpine system. This is the first I've read of the ANC . I didn't realize it was even there but it makes sense now. The sound of the rain hitting the top without audio playing or when the head unit is turned off is pretty loud. I wonder if the sound of the rain will seem to disappear when the system is on and cranking out some music and not just drown out the rain. I will definitely pay more attention to this now. :thinking:

I was going to say the same thing about rain, glad someone else was hearing that hail storm affect on the panels.

My wife commented about the wind noise as well she thought in gusty conditions, the sound transferred into the Jeep more than the JK. This is comparing JKU with hard top to JLU with hardtop.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

desertbuzz

I was going to say the same thing about rain, glad someone else was hearing that hail storm affect on the panels.

My wife commented about the wind noise as well she thought in gusty conditions, the sound transferred into the Jeep more than the JK. This is comparing JKU with hard top to JLU with hardtop.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I guess proper sound (and heat) insulation panels are a must given the JL's even thinner hardtop. I had fabricated mine on my 2012 JKU with amazing (measurable) results. And they were not any thicker than the heat insulation options sold aftermarket. 6 years later, still looking like new.
(3 mm Celotex panel boards or masonite cut to measure for cargo roof, rear passenger roof and 2 for front) .. I had actually used a friend's aftermarket kit as an initial template) ... Sound deadening paint ... sound absorbent foam (ARMAFLEX) ... all wrapped in fabric to match sportbar cover material).
All attached with 3m high heat (VHB) double face tape (like on aftermarket products).