Rusty's Tailgate Reinforcement and Tire Carrier

Sea Serpent

Finally got around to installing this kit and I'm really impressed with its rigidity and like how it looks. I know I'll never put those 40" tires on this Jeep so not concerned with the extra weight point. These are my observations and changes:
Installation was not straightforward and their directions need work. You'll find yourself asking questions and not certain on some step's details. I highly recommend a second set of hands you can truely trust or you'll risk damaging your paint.
I added 1/16 thick rubber under all body contact areas to reduce chances of any paint damage. BTW, this assembly does cover the unpainted areas where the stock hinges were whereas other reinforcement kits may not.
The kit comes with two aluminum shims for hinge alignment adjustments. I used one on the top and bottom hinges to push the gate to the left since the hinge side seam was extremely tight.
The instructions guide you to install the 3rd brake light below the spare tire mount bracket. It will be directly behind a wheel spoke and visibility is not good. I installed the 3rd brake light bracket to the top set of holes above the spare tire mount. Brake light now sits behind the opening between wheel spokes and much more visible.
I did not drill the holes for the 4 extra bolts on the extra bracing. I did notice that even with the thin rubber I added that extra brace extension was still pressing against the tailgate paint. I added the 1/16" thick rubber under the brace and it's held in place quit's nicely.
Tailgate opens and close perfectly and no noises or squeaks while driving. Spare tire seems more solidly mounted verses the stock assembly.
As far as off-road worthiness I'll leave that to someone else since I'm not into rock crawling.
Anyway, I hope this helps anyone who is undecided to make a decision on what they need or want.

Attachments

• 0102211559a.jpg
    0102211559a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 0102211559.jpg
    0102211559.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited: