JL JOURNAL : BIGGER is BETTER - 42" Nitto Trail Grappler & 20" KMC Grenade Beadlock

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
JL JOURNAL : BIGGER is BETTER - 42" Nitto Trail Grappler & 20" KMC Grenade Beadlock

Nitto has been manufacturing their awesome Trail Grappler for a little over 10 years now and in a 40" tire for the last 5 of them. During that time, they’ve rightfully earned a reputation for being one of the best mud terrain tires that money can buy and specifically because of how well they perform out on the race course, out on the rocks and maybe most importantly, out on the highway as a daily driver. Of course, Cindy and I have been running Trail Grapplers for years and in a 40 on both Moby and our JT and honestly, I could never imagine a need for anything bigger. But then, sometimes, BIGGER is more of a desire than a need.

Coming this February, Nitto will be releasing their Trail Grappler in a 42x13.50R20 and thanks to our good friend Mel Wade, the owner of EVO Manufacturing, Cindy and I got a chance to be the very first people to test them out and on our Jeep Gladiator. We hope you enjoy what you see.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20210102090618-7b8dafd5-me.jpg

frenchjk

Wow..those are huge! What gear ratio are you still running? Stock or slightly shorter? How is the torque at the wheels with the 3.6 and the Auto? 42 is going into mining truck world...:D:D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, Mel made that look too easy. I'm going to guess that a set of 42's will be ordered when it's time for new tires for the Gladiator

Actually, I'm hoping to get a set as soon as they're available. :yup:

Looks perfect. I need this in my life.

LOL - me too :D

I feel the need! Great video and info. How were the stock breaks on stopping the 42”? Do they need an upgrade?

He has the dana UD60's

Yup, what Dale72 said ^^^

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man that looks amazing! Great video!

That looks great with the 42's on there.

Thanks! Glad you like what you see :cool:

Wow..those are huge! What gear ratio are you still running? Stock or slightly shorter? How is the torque at the wheels with the 3.6 and the Auto? 42 is going into mining truck world...:D:D

We've got 5.38's in our UD60 axles but something higher would be nice. These get the job done but just barely.

JLRay

We've got 5.38's in our UD60 axles but something higher would be nice. These get the job done but just barely.

Do you think if, I mean when lol you upgrade to higher gears would it be a weak point? Just curious is with 42’s if a Dana 80 in the back may be more beneficial? May be thinking for myself way way in the future and wanted to hear your thoughts? lol [emoji51]