2018 JL Sahara major issues.

Nolocke

I've looked through the forums for something related, but couldn't find it so I created this thread! Hopefully someone can help.

So, I've been having issues with my Jeep off and on since about September. It first started back in September when I was pulling into a gas station and I completely lost power steering, with a bunch of service lights showing up (ABS, TC, 4WD etc)
So I took it to the dealership and they cleaned up some grounds and replaced a worn wiring harness in the passenger side front wheel well. All seamed to be fine until a few weeks later it happened again. This time it happened as I was driving along the highway doing 100-120kms (I'm in Canada lol) Lost power steering & the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree. Managed to slow down, pull over and shut it off and let it sit for a while before starting it back up again. Once started everything was fine, except I now have a check engine light. Took it back to the dealership, Jeep was throwing out about 37 codes, and they cleaned up the grounds and serviced a sensor on the transmission that's "known" to cause similar issues.
Get the Jeep back and I didn't have it 20 minutes when I lost power steering, service lights galore as well as now the fan is going at max speed. So I turn around and bring it right back to the dealer and it's showing 37 more codes now. They cleared the codes and gave it a test run and didn't see any issue so they gave it back. I didn't make it home and the Jeep was acting up. I called the dealer and explained the situation again and they decided they were going to have to call FCA Engineering in Ontario.
Meanwhile, I took my Jeep to get groceries and the entire time it was acting up. I was on the highway and the Jeep wouldn't go past 50kms, the RPM's were maxed out, every service light you can think of was on. At one point the Jeep completely shut off, No power steer, no lights, no breaks while continuing to roll down the highway.
After a day or two I finally hear back from the dealership and it was requested from FCA that they order & install the new upgraded steering pump. Which they did & and as of last week it was installed.
After they finished with it, took it for a drive & cleared all the codes they gave it back.
I didn't even make it 2km's from the dealer and it was doing the same thing again, No power steering, with service lights all over the place. I immediately took it back to the dealership and it's been there ever since. little over a week now.

Anyone having similar issues or anything that can tell me this will get resolved? lol

CanadaJeep

Caught the Bug
Sorry to here about the issue you are having with your jeep. Wish we had the jeep wave program up here in Canada. Try to call FCA directly yourself and see if they can help you out. :twocents:

JTCO

Meme King
I've looked through the forums for something related, but couldn't find it so I created this thread! Hopefully someone can help.

So, I've been having issues with my Jeep off and on since about September. It first started back in September when I was pulling into a gas station and I completely lost power steering, with a bunch of service lights showing up (ABS, TC, 4WD etc)
So I took it to the dealership and they cleaned up some grounds and replaced a worn wiring harness in the passenger side front wheel well. All seamed to be fine until a few weeks later it happened again. This time it happened as I was driving along the highway doing 100-120kms (I'm in Canada lol) Lost power steering & the dash lit up like a Christmas Tree. Managed to slow down, pull over and shut it off and let it sit for a while before starting it back up again. Once started everything was fine, except I now have a check engine light. Took it back to the dealership, Jeep was throwing out about 37 codes, and they cleaned up the grounds and serviced a sensor on the transmission that's "known" to cause similar issues.
Get the Jeep back and I didn't have it 20 minutes when I lost power steering, service lights galore as well as now the fan is going at max speed. So I turn around and bring it right back to the dealer and it's showing 37 more codes now. They cleared the codes and gave it a test run and didn't see any issue so they gave it back. I didn't make it home and the Jeep was acting up. I called the dealer and explained the situation again and they decided they were going to have to call FCA Engineering in Ontario.
Meanwhile, I took my Jeep to get groceries and the entire time it was acting up. I was on the highway and the Jeep wouldn't go past 50kms, the RPM's were maxed out, every service light you can think of was on. At one point the Jeep completely shut off, No power steer, no lights, no breaks while continuing to roll down the highway.
After a day or two I finally hear back from the dealership and it was requested from FCA that they order & install the new upgraded steering pump. Which they did & and as of last week it was installed.
After they finished with it, took it for a drive & cleared all the codes they gave it back.
I didn't even make it 2km's from the dealer and it was doing the same thing again, No power steering, with service lights all over the place. I immediately took it back to the dealership and it's been there ever since. little over a week now.

Anyone having similar issues or anything that can tell me this will get resolved? lol

What a pain in the ass. Some of the early models were built with loose fuses. I would push on all of your fuses and see if that's it. It sounds electrical. I would look for signs of frayed wires, rodent damage, etc in various spots. Any aftermarket electrical accessories that you've installed?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What a pain in the ass. Some of the early models were built with loose fuses. I would push on all of your fuses and see if that's it. It sounds electrical. I would look for signs of frayed wires, rodent damage, etc in various spots. Any aftermarket electrical accessories that you've installed?

Agree with this^^ sounds like an electrical issue. Check fuses and test the batteries (main and aux). I’m sure most of those codes are low voltage codes

Nolocke

The dealership has checked all the fuses as well as grounds underneath the Jeep. They've replaced a wiring harness in the passenger side wheel well, as well as upgraded the steering pump & installed a new ABS module.
Got the Jeep back today, and after the 45 minute drive back home I had to shift into 4WD as we had about a foot of snow & the roads weren't plowed. So with that simple shift, all the the lights on the dash came on and back to square one.

I'm now thinking it's something to do with the 4WD, either a wiring harness, the transfer case itself or a sensor in either of the diffs.

It's annoying & scary to say the least!

So, I've been having issues...

Have you contacted Jeep Wave? If not...do it. Get them involved. Is 3/36 warranty expired? If not like I said get everyone involved. If under warranty I wouldn't try to fix it myself...get THEM to fix it or make them take it back.

Nolocke

Have you contacted Jeep Wave? If not...do it. Get them involved. Is 3/36 warranty expired? If not like I said get everyone involved. If under warranty I wouldn't try to fix it myself...get THEM to fix it or make them take it back.

Unfortunately there's no Jeep wave program here in Canada. I'm still under the 3 year warranty, though I do have the extended 5yr plan added on at the time of sale.

I'm not sure what else there is to do, I know it's all electrical and that's starting to cause quite the headache for me.

Unfortunately there's no Jeep wave program here in Canada. I'm still under the 3 year warranty, though I do have the extended 5yr plan added on at the time of sale.

I'm not sure what else there is to do, I know it's all electrical and that's starting to cause quite the headache for me.

I bet. That sucks. Hope it works out for you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What you've described sounds like a loose battery cable. I know your dealership probably looked but I would double check them.

Nolocke

What you've described sounds like a loose battery cable. I know your dealership probably looked but I would double check them.

Thanks man. The guys at the dealership have checked the batteries, both the main and aux aswell as cleaned up all the grounds underneath the Jeep.

Been a long month without my baby.

DavidDJL69

Maybe it’s time to invoke the Lemon Law on this JL? Hope this works and you get it back soon, but don’t hold your breath. FCA spends a lot of time and money trying to fix the multitude of issues with this vehicle. So far I’ve been lucky with my JLUR but I did spend a good amount of time snd money out of my own Ickes to remediate the steering issues, thanks to Eddie’s help.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Gtony12

When you start having the issue is it intermittently happening or does it stay and never goes away, you may have already answered this sorry.

When it happens do you lose any dash functions? Speedo, tach etc..

I know you have lights come on and lose power,correct?
How do you get it to clear usually? Or does it not go away?

Nolocke

Maybe it’s time to invoke the Lemon Law on this JL? Hope this works and you get it back soon, but don’t hold your breath. FCA spends a lot of time and money trying to fix the multitude of issues with this vehicle. So far I’ve been lucky with my JLUR but I did spend a good amount of time snd money out of my own Ickes to remediate the steering issues, thanks to Eddie’s help.

Unfortunately there's no Lemon Law to help me in Canada. There was a program (Canmap? I think it's called) But FCA just recently left that program

Nolocke

When you start having the issue is it intermittently happening or does it stay and never goes away, you may have already answered this sorry.

When it happens do you lose any dash functions? Speedo, tach etc..

I know you have lights come on and lose power,correct?
How do you get it to clear usually? Or does it not go away?

The Speedo doesn't work, even the digital one in the center doesn't work. The tach pick's & chooses when it wants to work, sometimes it stops working while other times that's the only thing that works.

Prior to this post, the issue was happening every time I drove the Jeep. Even if it was only 5km's, at some point during my drive I would loose power steering, breaks & all the dash lights would come on.
So normally I would just go home and park it, and in the morning it would be "fine" lol

Since getting my Jeep back for the 6th time, so far the only issue was a check engine light came on & went out fairly quickly.

I've taken it on many lengthy drives, plus some moderate - light off roading and can not recreate the issues I was having

DavidDJL69

I’d just take this sucker back to the dealer and tell them to keep it until it’s fixed and to give you another Jeep to drive in the interim. Even though your laws aren’t the same as in the USA, Canada must have some sort of consumer protection laws, right?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app