Power Running Boards Recommendation

YAHAHA

We’re looking at installing power running boards on my MIL’s 2-door sport. She’s 72, in good health & won’t drive anything but a Jeep. She has trouble getting in our Rubicon with 35s & I imagine she will be having trouble getting in her Jeep soon.

Living outside Chicago, we typically have to deal with snow & salt. We’re looking for recommendations from people who have power boards that have to deal with the same type of winter. Our concerns are how well they work if jammed with snow & longevity with exposure to lots of road salt.

Even though her Jeep is a JK, any information you can give us about issues with power boards in snowy, salty conditions is appreciated.

Thank you.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

DavidDJL69

I appreciate your MIL’s situation and love that she will drive only a Jeep! I don’t have any direct experience with power running boards but have had experience with salt having lived in Cleveland, OH and other areas in “salt country.” I would hesitate installing anything that requires movement, as salt will definitely ruin whatever moving parts there are in a power running board set up. Something solid and secure to step on would be my first preference to help you MIL. Salt just sucks. Period. Good luck. Maybe others will weigh in with more experienced information.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

Thank you for the reply. After talking to some locals around here, we decided to forgo the power steps and get these. They have a low drop and wide step. Now we just have to sneak over and install them without her knowing!IMG_8854.JPG

YAHAHA

My MIL was thrilled with the new steps today. The drop step was just the perfect height. Installation was a breeze.IMG_8972.jpg

YAHAHA

The best part of the install was working with my favorite mechanic. He’s 12 and does our oil changes for us by himself. He helped install the lift kit & bumpers on the TJ when he was 6. I really enjoy working with him.IMG_8981.jpg

MrGiant

The best part of the install was working with my favorite mechanic. He’s 12 and does our oil changes for us by himself. He helped install the lift kit & bumpers on the TJ when he was 6. I really enjoy working with him.View attachment 16292

Thats cool! So you grew up your own pro to work with [emoji16]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR