Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JL/JT UD60s Question(s)

Fresh Catch

JL/JT UD60s Question(s)

It has been a little while since I posted, however, my JLUR recently underwent some fairly major upgrades including a set of UD60s, EVO long arms/bolt-on coilovers, and PSC steering, just to name a few. Maybe this thread could serve as a resource to those looking to upgrade to a set of UD60s or even those who already have them. I ended up going with 5.38s to spin our 40Ē tires and e-Lockers to keep the traction going. One thing I ended up doing with the UD60s was utilizing Z-Automotiveís locker harnesses which allowed me to still utilize the stock Rubicon switch and even still shows on the display/Off-Road Pages when the axles are locked. So far I am very impressed with the harnesses and they were literally plug and play.

One minor issue we ran into was the coilover kit interfacing with the rear brake calipers (which are massive!) as when the Jeep is articulating, the caliper just barely clips the coil. Nothing major that impedes the function of the suspension, but just something to be aware of. Another minor thing I did not realize is that the front UD60 shock mounts are raised compared to the factory Dana 44, whereas the rear are not. This of course resulted in the front end sitting a decent bit higher than the rear, but this was an easy fix and just required adjusting the rear coilovers to raise them a bit higher and lowering the front. Overall I am very happy thus far with the UD60s, I ran 40s on the factory 44s for about a year prior with no real issues, but the UD60s definitely give me peace of mind because they are pure beef. Beyond that, the braking power is much improved and the Jeep just feels much stronger and more rigid overall which greatly enhanced my sense of confidence (hopefully not to my detriment LOL).

Which brings me to my actual question. This past weekend we were able to take the Jeep on its first shakedown run since the upgrades. The Jeep performed awesome with no major issues, which is great considering how much was changed. However an interesting point was brought up by a local club member here with a JK on UD60s. He asked me if I had the tubes welded yet on my UD60s, which of course I have not since that had never crossed my mind on a brand new set of crate axles. Evidently, there were some issues with at least the JK UD60s spinning axle tubes. Does anyone know if this is still an issue with the JL/JT UD60s? Should I be looking for a truss or to have the tubes welded? Thanks for any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. Congrats on the upgrades.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCO View Post
    Looks great. Congrats on the upgrades.
    Thank you, appreciate it!

JL/JT UD60s Question(s)

Great looking Jeep!

To answer your question, there was a thread on WAYALIFE.com where this concern was mentioned. In the thread I believe it was said that only early production of the JK UD60ís had this issue. They have since been fixed by Dana. I believe that is why the UD60 got a bad rap for a while when they first came out

Edit- post #36

DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience
    https://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=1172631

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozdude View Post
    Great looking Jeep!

To answer your question, there was a thread on WAYALIFE.com where this concern was mentioned. In the thread I believe it was said that only early production of the JK UD60ís had this issue. They have since been fixed by Dana. I believe that is why the UD60 got a bad rap for a while when they first came out
    Thanks much! That is kind of what I was expecting, I had heard of the bad rap originally but didnít know any specifics regarding why they got a bad rap. At least then they seem to have fixed the issue, and I must say, these axles are awesome so far!

Been Around the Block StormBreakerTheJL's Avatar
    Wish I had some knowledge on your question. Great looking Jeep, congrats on the upgrades, Iím totally jealous!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by StormBreakerTheJL View Post
    Wish I had some knowledge on your question. Great looking Jeep, congrats on the upgrades, Iím totally jealous!
    No worries, the consensus I am seeing seems to be an issue with early model UD60s. Thank you, really enjoying this beast now!

Nice Jeep. How much hard wheeling did you do on M210 axle with 40's?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRubicon View Post
    Nice Jeep. How much hard wheeling did you do on M210 axle with 40's?
    I would say a decent bit. We ran it for over a year on the 40s with a couple of Moab trips included. We ran quite a few 8/10 trails with this set up, but never went ďfull sendĒ or anything, I just let the Jeep crawl and do the work. I think you can make it work on 40s for sure, I donít know for how long though.

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthejl View Post
    I would say a decent bit. We ran it for over a year on the 40s with a couple of Moab trips included. We ran quite a few 8/10 trails with this set up, but never went ďfull sendĒ or anything, I just let the Jeep crawl and do the work. I think you can make it work on 40s for sure, I donít know for how long though.
    Thatís impressive. I definitely donít have gorilla size balls to run 40s on a stock axle

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast