ZOOM 2021 JLUR Build

ZOOM

Hey there. I’ve been lurking the Jeep forums since my 2009 JKU purchase and felt compelled to finally sign up and contribute.

First, thanks for all the help you didn’t know you were providing me.

My 2021 JLUR is at the rail station. Fingers crossed for delivery this week. I have a host of upgrades planned and figured I can share what I learn as I start to transform my new Jeep.

I have a number of items already in hand and will get started on upgrades the first weekend available after I take the keys. I tend to buy things that sometimes can be a bit of a pain to find reviews on so I hope this thread can help.

Photos to come soon. Below is the list of items already here, or already on order for my first round of mods:

JKS J Spec J Venture 2.5” lift
JKS J Flex front and rear lower control arms
Dirty Life DT2 wheels 17” 3.5 BS
BFG KM3 tires 39x13.5
American Adventure Labs Highline fender kit
Rusty’s Off-Road rear fascia kit
Rusty’s Off-Road Xtreme Trail Stubby rear bumper
Rusty’s Off-Road tire carrier
Tazer Mini
EVO front bump stops 3”
Clayton rear bump stops 3”

I hope maybe someone finds this useful. If you’ve had questions about any of my choices above, I’ll do what I can to help.

I look forward to sharing this build. My last Jeep came with some mods when I bought it, this one will be all me.

Last edited:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Welcome but where are the pictures since this is the pictures and videos thread?

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

ZOOM

Sorry for the delay, but as I noted, I didn't actually have the Jeep in hand. I just had parts scattered around. Well, that changed Friday. Since this is a photo thread I figured I would put up a few before and after shots straight away. Had the Jeep for less than 14 hours before going to work on it. 45 miles on the odometer.

So far I've installed the JKS 2.5 inch lift with J-Flex control arms along with the new wheels and tires.

Here are the photos. Hopefully they work.

Jeep Stock 1.jpg

Jeep Stock 2.jpg

Jeep Modified 1.jpg

Jeep Modified 2.jpg

ZOOM

So, like I said, I want to provide some information that wasn't the easiest to find for anyone wondering. I'll start with the lift.

I went with the JKS lift because I felt like it was a pretty complete lift for the money. I had my eye on Metalcloak and have not doubt that would have been a great option, but I didn't want to replace my drive shaft.

I did some research on the lift, and with the right amount of searching you can get the lift that doesn't come with control arms and purchase the J-Flex control arms that are adjustable and have a flex end on one end for around $10 more than the the JKS kit that comes with LCAs that are fixed length with dual Clevite bushings. This is what I did.

Why 2.5"? Well, I like the low stance big tire look, and I like the idea of a little lower COG. With the 39" tires I needed to go with 3" bump stops to minimize rubbing. I haven't fully tested flex yet, but I think I will still need to highline the fenders. I have the AAL kit on order but I don't have it yet.

Overall, so far I'm happy with the ride quality. I went with HD springs so it is stiffer than the stock ride, but honestly I only had 45 miles on the stock ride before the change. Initial impression are a stiffer ride, but I expected that.

I also went with the cheaper J-Spec shocks over the Fox offering with this lift. This was monetary. I just dropped a bunch of cash on the Jeep. I'll probably upgrade to Fox later. Everyone seems to love them. The JKS seem OK.

Install wend smooth. There are 3 holes you have to drill for the rear track bar bracket, and if you don't have the Rubicon model and will use the JKS Quicker Disconnects you have to cut off a bracket up front.

I have a few trips set up for November that will really tell me more about the lift, but initial impressions are good.

ZOOM

A little wheel and tire talk to top off today's posts.

I went with Dirty Life DT2 wheels. 17x9 with 3.5 inch of backspace. The decision to go with Dirty Life was two fold: first, to make my smaller lift with 39" tires work I needed 3.5 inches of backspacing. Finding standard mount wheels with 3.5 inches of backspacing proved difficult. Most were beadlock. I like the idea of beadlocks, but at over $400 per wheel plus the at home mounting of tires I would need to do, I decided to go a different route. This leads me to the second reason I went with the DT2 wheels - options.

The DT2 wheels come as a standard mount wheel, but with the purchase of some beadlock rings for $80-$100 per wheel depending on where you look, I can convert them to beadlock. I saved some money now, but have the option of beadlocks later.

The downside is the weight. They are a heavy wheel. I think 40lbs with the rock rings, 45lbs if converted to beadlocks.

Even with 3.5 inches of backspacing I am rubbing on the Rubicon rock slider ever so slightly at full lock up front. The rear looks close, but I haven't witnessed actual rubbing. I plan to cut off 1"-2" of the rail on each side until I decide on aftermarket rails.

If you have any question or comments I can do my best to answer them.

I've got a lot of items on order and will post photos and talk about those parts as they come in and get put on.

marktora

Impressive setup. Your Jeep looks amazing. Looking at yours made me excited to install new fender flares and a new set of wheel and tire these coming months.

Last edited by a moderator: