manual vs automatic transmission

jcslax17

My 2012 jk rubicon was just totaled so I'm in the market for a JL rubicon, either 2dr or 4dr and have been going back and forth whether to go with the automatic or the manual transmission. Are there any drawbacks to the new manual in the JL? If I end up with the automatic option should I consider the 2.0L turbo option or just stick with the 3.6L?

JTCO

Meme King
We own a JL and a JT, both with the new automatic. No way I'd even consider a manual. This new 8 speed transmission is badass. We have the 2.0L in the JL and even on 35s, the power is very impressive. We've got less than 2k on it so it's new to us, but no complaints so far.

I would definitely go with the automatic. It's a very smart transmission. It does a good job picking the right gear, up or down, and shifts very quickly. It behaves well on hills. And the best part (for me), is that it totally transforms the 3.6 The shorter gear ranges make that 3.6 feel way more stout than it did with the JK's 5-speed.

Sent from my SM-N970U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

jcslax17

We own a JL and a JT, both with the new automatic. No way I'd even consider a manual. This new 8 speed transmission is badass. We have the 2.0L in the JL and even on 35s, the power is very impressive. We've got less than 2k on it so it's new to us, but no complaints so far.

Is there issues with the manual or is the automatic just that good to not even consider the manual? Should avoid the earlier 2.0?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YJTJJKUJLUR

All my jeeps up until this 2020 JLUR have been manual. I always thought reel jeeps would always be stick, but shit I was dead wrong! Love the new 8 speed auto with the 3.6. Shifts are crisp. No power loss going to 35s. Wish I went auto way sooner! And more control on the trail. And I’ve been driving stick on the trail, mud, rocks, snow, ice, since my ‘95 YJ

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app