M186 4.56 gears, bigger carrier needed?

Ironworker Dan

Getting ready to do gears in my 19 jl sport 6 speed.
Just currious if a larger carrier is needed to support the 4.56 gears in the m186 like the older dana 30's needed. Searched quite a bit and cant find an answer. Used to build xj Cherokees pretty heavy years ago, have done gears quite a few times but ive been out of the game for a while untill recently.

Ironworker Dan

Looking for a specific answer on the carrier. Not looking to swap out for a 44 right this minute. If I had the coin to drop on the swap id have done that by now. I have gears sitting in the garage and a m186 axle to work with. Thats not going to change at the moment.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just currious if a larger carrier is needed to support the 4.56 gears in the m186 like the older dana 30's needed. Searched quite a bit and cant find an answer. Used to build xj Cherokees pretty heavy years ago, have done gears quite a few times but ive been out of the game for a while untill recently.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in but if I had to take a guess I would assume you need a new carrier.

Have you tried calling the gear mfg you got your gears from?

I’m betting you do. Doesn’t the m186 come with 3.23s or something?