Axle differential fluid change

I reached over 25K miles and just realized this weekend I need to change the diff fluid. I was happy when I saw Eddie's video on it.

I have a 2019 JLUR and I tow a Patriot X1H camper with it (3500 lbs). It has stock suspension and wheels/tires, but I've added air bags inside the rear springs to stiffen up the suspension for towing.

In the video description, he lists MOPAR Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140) for towing, as opposed to the Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil used in the video. Do y'all think I should use the 75W-140 on the rear axle? Royal Purple also sells an oil in that weight.

Also, I'd like an easier way to work under the Jeep than using a trolley jack. I don't have the space for a full vehicle lift (I am super jealous of Eddie's shop). I'm wondering if it is a good idea (and safe) to have 4 car ramps so I could drive the Jeep up onto them and raise it up level, a foot or so in the air. What do you think? What is your setup?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're towing, I would definitely use the heavier weight oil. Also, you really should be doing this with your Jeep on the ground. As I note in the video, I only used the lift so that it would be easier for me to film. :)

If you're towing, I would definitely use the heavier weight oil. Also, you really should be doing this with your Jeep on the ground. As I note in the video, I only used the lift so that it would be easier for me to film. :)

Thanks Eddie should I use the heavier weight oil on the front diff too?

I have very little clearance for getting under my stock Rubicon. I want to raise up so I can get in there. I have to use a jack when I change the engine oil. I’m not a big guy but my chest doesn’t clear the frame when I’m on a creeper. I thought car ramps might be a reasonable solution and not droop the axles like a hydraulic lift would.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app