JL Tire Carrier Question

sarapicos

Good day -

I'm doing my planning and road map to upgrade to a 37" on my 2018 JLUR and, looking at a number of products I saw the RTG Heavy Duty Tire Carrier (https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...l-2018-2019-jeep-wrangler-wrangler-unlimited/) that looks very similar to the Mopar solution.

Since I didn't find any reviews online, I come to this trusted forum for some help.

The price doesn't seem that bad @ $399 on Northridge and even Amazon but I feel like I would be taking a step of faith

Please help

ddays v2

Good day -

I'm doing my planning and road map to upgrade to a 37" on my 2018 JLUR and, looking at a number of products I saw the RTG Heavy Duty Tire Carrier (https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...l-2018-2019-jeep-wrangler-wrangler-unlimited/) that looks very similar to the Mopar solution.

Since I didn't find any reviews online, I come to this trusted forum for some help.

The price doesn't seem that bad @ $399 on Northridge and even Amazon but I feel like I would be taking a step of faith

Please help

While this carrier reinforces the hinge, it doesn't really do anything to add any strength to the stock carrier itself. The weight distribution braces don't make the mount itself any stronger. While the 37" can be run on the stock mount, I just wonder about the long term effects, especially if you really do use the Jeep offroad much. We just did a Moab/Colorado trip and I didn't want to chance any potential breaksge so I installed a Rusty's tire carrier before we left. I gotta say, I'm really impressed with the workmanship and quality of the carrier. Install was a breeze too. If you're going to spend $400 on a brace, I'd seriously consider spending a few more bucks and go with something like this.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-tire-carrier-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler.html

rustys.jpg

r2.jpg

r3.jpg

sarapicos

I will definitely look into the Rusty option

Regarding the observation of the importance of reinforcing the hinges, I guess that the Teraflex JL: Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit solution doesn't address that issue neither

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Regarding the observation of the importance of reinforcing the hinges, I guess that the Teraflex JL: Alpha HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit solution doesn't address that issue neither

I would steer clear of teraflop in general. Better quality things on the market

JTCO

Meme King

Teraflex doesn't address any issues on any of their products other than raping the consumer and then breaking.

ddays v2

I was thinking of getting the rusty’s tire carrier, but the only issue for me was it sticks out too much. There doesn’t seem to have much contact against that adjustable bump stop.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The wheel mount is fully adjustable in and out and the bump stop can be configured in multiple ways. There is ample contact between the bump and tire. That part is rock solid. In fact, it's better than the rubber factory bumps.