JL Steering Gear

WiscoHR

Looks like Jeep is addressing the complaints of steering wander, pull left or right and excess play in the wheel. The service bulletin calls for replacement of the aluminum steering box and replacing it with a steel one.

I talked to our service manager and it looks like parts should be available around mid September.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Looks like Jeep is addressing the complaints of steering wander, pull left or right and excess play in the wheel. The service bulletin calls for replacement of the aluminum steering box and replacing it with a steel one.

I talked to our service manager and it looks like parts should be available around mid September.

Funny that many were suggesting that all along. Steel or did you mean cast iron?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My 2018 jl just hit the 40k mile mark so since i’m out of warranty, would I have to pay out of pocket for this?

FCA might make it a special policy and extend the warranty time on this specific repair. Only time will tell. Best thing to do would be to get to the dealer ASAP and mention it to your service advisor, that way they have it noted that you questioned the repair early on and they can possibly “good will” the repair.

klastinger

FCA might make it a special policy and extend the warranty time on this specific repair. Only time will tell. Best thing to do would be to get to the dealer ASAP and mention it to your service advisor, that way they have it noted that you questioned the repair early on and they can possibly “good will” the repair.

I guess there will be a bunch of us taking sector shaft braces off to get a new box put on.

Deepspinners

Took my 3 week old Sport Altitude to dealer Tuesday, they called back said no problem found. Asked about test drive, they drove it around the block. I told them to take it out on interstate and drive it 65 - 70. Then took them a copy of the TSB. They called back today said stay in rental they can’t order the parts till Monday. Said Jeep was too dangerous to drive.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jeeeep

about damn time, I'm almost out of warranty but the dealer should have documentation of the times I took it in for this.

The sector brace made a difference but I'd rather have it fixed, not band-aided

WiscoHR

The new steering boxes are available now. Just talked to our service manager yesterday. The box for my JL is there already, just waiting on the bolts needed to install it. The box for my Gladiator hasn’t arrived yet. Figured I’d be the test so had him order them for both right away.

klastinger

I am curious to see what, those with sector shaft braces, will do about this. I would like the better box, but my Jeep drives good with all the synergy steering components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I am curious to see what, those with sector shaft braces, will do about this. I would like the better box, but my Jeep drives good with all the synergy steering components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would still have the box installed and then you can reinstall the synergy bracket for extra enforcement

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
The new steering boxes are available now. Just talked to our service manager yesterday. The box for my JL is there already, just waiting on the bolts needed to install it. The box for my Gladiator hasn’t arrived yet. Figured I’d be the test so had him order them for both right away.

What’s different about the bolts? Any idea?

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal