JL Steering Gear

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anybody have the recall number for the recall bulletin? I gave the dealership the number at the upper right but that’s not popping up in their system. It’s supposed to be something that starts with a letter. Also, they haven’t heard of any fix for the steering gear box

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

It isn’t a recall, it’s a technical service bulletin. They are different. A service bulletin is used by the techs to help with diagnosis when a customer has a complaint.

JP223/3USA

Called FCA and got my case#. They are going to contact the dealership. I planned to remove my aftermarket drag link, but don’t want to damage the boot. The dealership might try to find any reason to not replace the gear box.

Last edited:

DavidDJL69

Called FCA and got my case#. They are going to contact the dealership. Sector shaft brace is off and that pitman arm bolt was a bitch to get off. That’s what I get for the shit ton of loctite I used. It was a lot harder than taking the stock one off. I planned to remove my aftermarket drag link, but don’t want to damage the boot. The dealership might try to find any reason to not replace the gear box.

Thanks for posting this up. It will help a lot of others who’ve reached this point after building their Jeeps and now are faced with the snail pace fix of FCA. Maybe FCA should consider hiring folks from Synergy or other places that were smart enough to come up with fixes for their design fails.

DavidDJL69

Thanks for posting this up. It will help a lot of others who’ve reached this point after building their Jeeps and now are faced with the snail pace fix of FCA. Maybe FCA should consider hiring folks from Synergy or other places that were smart enough to come up with fixes for their design fails.

On second thought leave the good folks at Synergy alone! Bad idea.

JP223/3USA

I removed my tie rod and drag link before taking my Jeep to the dealership this morning. I just received a phone call and they ordered the new gear box. It’s going to be approx 2 weeks when it arrives. I asked the cost if it wasn’t under warranty and the part itself is close to $800.

Last edited:

klastinger

I am going to only remove my sector shaft brace. All the other parts are synergy and far superior to stock. Track bar was part of my lift and is covered under the extended warranty I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JP223/3USA

I am going to only remove my sector shaft brace. All the other parts are synergy and far superior to stock. Track bar was part of my lift and is covered under the extended warranty I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought my steering was ok before I upgraded everything. Now, after putting my stock crap back on its horrible. My dealership is pretty good warranting modified Jeeps, but I wanted to be sure I could get the upgraded steering box. Like others have mentioned, my dealership is only allowed to order one every two weeks. I’m the first JL that will be getting one at this dealership. If it weren’t for this forum, I would have been on the waiting list or been out of warranty to get it replaced.

Last edited:

WiscoHR

I thought my steering was ok before I upgraded everything. Now, after putting my stock crap back on its horrible. My dealership is pretty good warranting modified Jeeps, but I wanted to be sure I could get the upgraded steering box. Like others have mentioned, my dealership is only allowed to order one every two weeks. I’m the first JL that will be getting one at this dealership. If it weren’t for this forum, I would have been on the waiting list or been out of warranty to get it replaced.

I work at a dealership and yes the parts are hard to come by. I have the first 2 boxes waiting for my JL and Gladiator. They are doing them on Thursday and Friday this week. The Gladiator is stock but they got my JL covered, out of warranty, 37’s, control arms, track bar, etc.

JP223/3USA

I work at a dealership and yes the parts are hard to come by. I have the first 2 boxes waiting for my JL and Gladiator. They are doing them on Thursday and Friday this week. The Gladiator is stock but they got my JL covered, out of warranty, 37’s, control arms, track bar, etc.

After you get it installed, can you take pics for all of us? I want to know how long the bolts go through the steering gear box.

Last edited:
After my dealership not wanting to replace my rear camera that was messing with the radio for over a year, I’m hesitant to take it in. I’m under warranty and I do have a slight pull to the right, would they tell me that it’s because of the 37s and beadlocks? I have all stock steering components minus the track bar, I have the stock one still.

JP223/3USA

After my dealership not wanting to replace my rear camera that was messing with the radio for over a year, I’m hesitant to take it in. I’m under warranty and I do have a slight pull to the right, would they tell me that it’s because of the 37s and beadlocks? I have all stock steering components minus the track bar, I have the stock one still.

All dealerships are different. When I first got my Jeep, I asked what size lift and tires would be an issue with my warranty. Anything over 37s and I believe they said any lift over 4” would be an issue.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Scheduled mine to go in Thursday. They are a mod friendly dealer but I’m still stock currently so they should feel it easily.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Brought mine in to be looked at and they will order one for me. My dealer can’t order more until the 16th.

Underdog

I took mine in this morning to have it looked at, after a test drive and inspection they are ordering parts. They claim they will take about 10 days to get the new steering box and bolts and I'm fine with that, I just want it fixed. My Willy's is completely stock so they didn't give me any problems or questions, hope this all works out well.