Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: JL Steering Gear

Fresh Catch
    So to quote the dealer when I bought my wrangler in February 'its designed to be like that so when you are off road it doesn't move the steering wheel too much" they were really trying to blow smoke up my rs.
    I knew it was bull. Good to see it is finally getting resolved, but I wander how many accidents were caused by this, I almost rolled due to massive steering corrections on an expressway!

Sent from my SM-F700F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Been Around the Block
    The dealer may think loose is right but I prefer it tight. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JP223/3USA View Post
    The dealer may think loose is right but I prefer it tight. Lol

Thatís what he said.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
    2012 JK Dozer
    1975 DJ5 Postal
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Been Around the Block

JL Steering Gear

Got mine done today under warranty. Took a shot of what they would charge. Also, I didnít get 4 new bolts but they reused the original hardware. It looks dumb with the long front bolts sticking out so much.I asked if there were new torque specs for the bolts and they said 44ft lbs. seems low to me. Iíll use my torque wrench to verify that number.
    IMG_6854.jpg
    IMG_6840.jpg

Last edited by JP223/3USA; 09-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Been Around the Block
    Update: Steering is tight and so much better. I checked all the gear box bolts and the dealership did torque them down to 44ft pounds.

Really happy itís working well for you. Did you have a Synergy sector shaft brace installed prior to the new gear box? If so did you reinstall it. Thanks for the info. Will guide a lot of us in the right direction.

Caught the Bug
    Mine came in today and will get installed Monday. I will be putting my sector shaft brace back in. I will let you know how it drives both ways.

Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    Got mine done under warranty today. Night & day difference. My Jeep shipped with the original steering box. It got sloppy & was replaced last year with the 5th revision version. It got sloppy & I got this one. My old bolts were silver & these are black. I was so used to correcting the steering on every bump that when I drove off the lot I mustíve looked drunk. Every minor movement translated. I was on the highway doing 85 & took both hands off the wheel for 3-4 seconds & it tracked perfect. I was on 540e in Raleigh which is know to be a tough patch of highway. Letís see if she holds up.

If youíre gonna get it done CALL JEEP WAVE!! My service advisor was shocked. She said Lisa from Jeep Wave expedited my parts & checked in constantly. She also said most other owners were waiting a month or 2 but they special ordered mine & it was there in 2 weeks! I would at least give them a call before going PSC. They might be able to make something happen.

1 (844) 533-7928

Caught the Bug
    I agree with the Jeep Wave. Called them before I took mine in. No issue. Part came in less than 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDJL69 View Post
    Really happy itís working well for you. Did you have a Synergy sector shaft brace installed prior to the new gear box? If so did you reinstall it. Thanks for the info. Will guide a lot of us in the right direction.

I did have the sector shaft brace prior to the new gear box. I ended up installing it on my nieces Jeep, because she has sloppy steering and out of warranty.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast