JL Steering Gear

Jeeeep

finally got my steering box done, took about 3months for the part to get in stock.

picked it up last night and the initial impression was it now feels tighter, like my 2015sport. it's a huge positive difference in how it handles.

This morning i took it out on the freeway for some high speed testing and it was a wind advisory day.

Usually I would be fighting the wind and the steering but it stayed straight, no more pull to one side and the wind a more normal affect on the Jeep. In the past, every wind gust would have had me over correcting because the steering was also favoring to one side.

I see fluid around the fittings and it could be from the install (no cleanup) but after wiping it off this morning and checking it when I got home, it looks like it may still be leaking.

I'll take it back to the dealer to check/tighten, I don't want them accusing me in the event they cross-threaded the fittings.

Last edited:

Underdog

I had my steering box replaced 3 months ago and since then it's a much nicer vehicle to drive. It's still not perfect but a big improvement over the stock aluminum pump, and I really appreciate my dealer getting this done for me. My JL was all stock when I took it in and parts were ordered, it took about 2 weeks to get the parts and set me up an appointment. I highly recommend anyone with steering issues to take it to the dealer and get this done, it makes the jeep much more enjoyable to drive.

Sea Serpent

My dealership failed on every point of this repair on my 2019 JLUR. Got my steering box replaced about 2 weeks ago. Drove the same as before on secondary roads and steering wheel is off center to the left. Highway driving is just scary since it'll now almost make lane changes by itself. So, I decided to look this steering box, bolts and shaft over. I just knew something was loose. Nothing loose, but what I did find is hard to believe. It's just another old design aluminum steering box! Yes, my dealership actually did this. See attached pic for your curiosity.

Attachments

• 0120211410_HDR.jpg
    0120211410_HDR.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 85

JTCO

Meme King
My dealership failed on every point of this repair on my 2019 JLUR. Got my steering box replaced about 2 weeks ago. Drove the same as before on secondary roads and steering wheel is off center to the left. Highway driving is just scary since it'll now almost make lane changes by itself. So, I decided to look this steering box, bolts and shaft over. I just knew something was loose. Nothing loose, but what I did find is hard to believe. It's just another old design aluminum steering box! Yes, my dealership actually did this. See attached pic for your curiosity.

As I posted in your hard top thread, I've officially given up on humanity.

DavidDJL69

Wow! I’d take it back. And then to another dealer if you need to. This is actually fraud. One of the reasons we give up on people is partly due to the fact that it’s such a hassle to try and hold people accountable. Threaten to sue, tell them bluntly you and your family could have injured or worse by the steering of your after the “warranty” work they lied about doing, but also go directly to FCA and report this dealer’s perpetrating fraud on a customer. Can’t believe the balls to try that. Glad you caught it. A heads up to all of us.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sea Serpent

I was finally able to get the correct cast iron steering box. Has the correct label and I verified its iron. Still has some dead spot but somewhat tighter. Doesn't seen as bad overall. I am leaving them out of the equation for removing the play in the steering box. I can do it easily. One little thing they did wrong was they reused the extra long bolts.

Attachments

• 0216211754c_HDR.jpg
    0216211754c_HDR.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 0216211755.jpg
    0216211755.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0216211756a.jpg
    0216211756a.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 60

JP223/3USA

I was finally able to get the correct cast iron steering box. Has the correct label and I verified its iron. Still has some dead spot but somewhat tighter. Doesn't seen as bad overall. I am leaving them out of the equation for removing the play in the steering box. I can do it easily. One little thing they did wrong was they reused the extra long bolts.

They put the long bolts on mine too.

GoinginJeep

I went into the stealership today and they confirmed that I had to bring my jeep in for an initial diaog and then it would be 3-4 months for the part to come in. But when he asked me some questions he confirmed the aluminum gear box issue.
Atleast he didn't try to hid behind some bullhockey.

There is some hope for humanity, you just have to search for it!?!?!?!!!!!:p

GoinginJeep

The real pisser about all this, they don't call it out as a recall, but a TSB. I mean what is a life or two and lose a couple customers.

Toyota pulled this crap all the time with the Tacomas and our Prius. Fortunately I had a great service deptment manager that told me about all the hidden gems and saved me 1000$$$$$$.:thumb:

StingRubi19

So after driving a couple trips in my JT I will say that I do notice a difference. Seems to wonder a lot less on the highway (70mph). Don't have to correct the steering wheel as much. Has a tighter feel.
Even from a sharp turn the steering wheel will return back to center easier. So I will say that I'm happy with the fix.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Gtony12

The real pisser about all this, they don't call it out as a recall, but a TSB. I mean what is a life or two and lose a couple customers.

Toyota pulled this crap all the time with the Tacomas and our Prius. Fortunately I had a great service deptment manager that told me about all the hidden gems and saved me 1000$$$$$$.:thumb:

Ya I talked to the dealer they said I would have to pay for it myself [emoji22] but I really don’t notice much I just figured that’s a Jeep🤦🏻[emoji482]

RanchoRubi

Just had mine done. Took three months for box to come in. After two days of driving, I have noticed a significant improvement. Virtually no wander. Low or highway speeds. I’m very happy with the outcome.
It’s unfortunate that some have had issues with their dealers or warranty coverage. Seems to me this should be an automatic replace.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Underdog

I had mine done several months ago and it was a good improvement over stock, not perfect but way better than what it was from the factory. What really cured my wander problem was the Synergy sector shaft brace, this combined with the cast iron steering box removed all the wander and made the JLU a beautiful vehicle to drive. So if your looking for a total fix combine the 2 together and you will notice a wonderful improvement.

7tcu

I have a question, I have a 2020 Wrangler sport with 4000 miles on it and it is not dangerous but is a real pain driving as I am constantly correcting the steering. The wind makes it even worse. Cpmpared to my VW this is a piece of junk on steering. I know that I am over compensating the steering as sometimes I just leave it alone and it drives ok. So would I be justified to take it back to the dealer and grip about the steering?

I have a question, I have a 2020 Wrangler sport with 4000 miles on it and it is not dangerous but is a real pain driving as I am constantly correcting the steering. The wind makes it even worse. Cpmpared to my VW this is a piece of junk on steering. I know that I am over compensating the steering as sometimes I just leave it alone and it drives ok. So would I be justified to take it back to the dealer and grip about the steering?
While the cast iron steering box may tighten things up a little bit, no Wrangler will EVER compare to any other modern SUV or car in highway speed steering precision and tracking. Wranglers are solid axle suspensions with control arms and track bars to maintain geometry. It is designed for simplicity, durability, and flexibility. Your VW was very likely independent suspension.

TLDR: it's a Jeep thing.

JTCO

Meme King
While the cast iron steering box may tighten things up a little bit, no Wrangler will EVER compare to any other modern SUV or car in highway speed steering precision and tracking. Wranglers are solid axle suspensions with control arms and track bars to maintain geometry. It is designed for simplicity, durability, and flexibility. Your VW was very likely independent suspension.

TLDR: it's a Jeep thing.
^ Exactly. Any front suspension with a solid axle will never have the comfortable road manners of independent front suspension.

Isaacoj760

2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited 37” tires mopar lift, track barss

Jeep wandered like crazy “jeep thing” off the lot. Added 37” and if I aired down to 28PSI it drastically helped the wandering. 3 months later installed mopar lift. No real change to steering or wandering . Took Jeep in to get steering box replaced. Told service manager jeep was wandering and here is the TSB. Very little questions ordered parts and installed.

Now, on trip home felt way tighter. I was a little pissed the dealer messed with my toe and air pressure. Air pressure was 37 psi on way home. I lowered air pressure back to 28 psi like I had it prior to dealer visit. Test drive #2. Let’s just say bump steer and death wobble immediately I then thought must be the toe. But instead aired up back to 37 psi. Better. Then to 40 psi. Now I can let go of steering wheel and tracks straight. Fly over bumpy country roads that caused death wobble and now it’s gone.

For those that get the TSB done we need to reverse our thinking. All we have been doing is hiding the real problem with the steering box. You will have to readjust all the bandaids but the difference is real.