JL Steering Gear

klastinger

New steering box with Synergy Sector Shaft Brace installed. It drives good without it, but with lift and 37’s I feel the extra support can’t hurt. IMG_3917.jpgIMG_3917.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

klastinger

I called synergy and they said to torque per installation instructions, so 99. It looks like all 4 are now like my 2 rear bolts originally. They are all also the same length.

klastinger

44 ft lbs plus 135 degrees is a lot more than 44 pounds. That is a really odd spec for a suspension bolt.

klastinger

Good to know up close to original torque specs. Synergy told me to go to 99 when reinstalling my sector shaft brace, and that seems fine.

Thanks for the heads up.

JP223/3USA

It is not 44 ft lbs... It is 44ft lbs PLUS 135deg. Torque/turn. So you go to 44. Then you rotate bolt another 135deg

Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I’ve already mentioned this on my last 2 posts. I torqued them down to the specs by FCA and was very close to the original torque spec of 99ft lbs. I put a marker dot on the bolt after reaching 44 ft lbs and rotated it 135 degrees.
My dealership only had them at 44ft pounds and never rotated them another 135 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

klastinger

Which will significantly increase the torque well beyond the 44 foot pounds.

klastinger

That’s scary that they only torqued them to 44 pounds. That could have caused a serious issue down the road. It’s really good that you checked them. Most people won’t check them though.

I know mine were torqued to at least 90 after the new box was installed because I checked them before removing them to reinstall my sector shaft brace. I even do my own oil changes for the same reason. I always worry things won’t be done correctly.

JP223/3USA

That’s scary that they only torqued them to 44 pounds. That could have caused a serious issue down the road. It’s really good that you checked them. Most people won’t check them though.

I know mine were torqued to at least 90 after the new box was installed because I checked them before removing them to reinstall my sector shaft brace. I even do my own oil changes for the same reason. I always worry things won’t be done correctly.

Last edited:

klastinger

The end of the bolt is about 1/4 inch out past the end steering box. No threads of the bolt are showing but I do not see any threads of the box either. It appears the bolts captured all the threads of the steering box.

YJTJJKUJLUR

Got the new steering gear installed. 1000% difference! No play at all. Freeway driving at 75 with wind and no drifting at all! It’s a whole new Jeep. Still gonna install the synergy brace in anticipation of 37’s after the 35’s wear out. Gone trail test soon to see how that feels

klastinger

I agree. My drives so much better as well. I really can’t tell any difference with the brace, and I am running 37’s and it drives great. Really happy with the new box.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just got word from my dealer that I will finally be getting my gear in on the 28th. Almost 2 months later. Gonna hold my breath tho on them getting it and actually calling me to schedule and appointment

klastinger

Mine came in 8 days. You must have a busy dealer. I was told they could only order one a week, which seemed odd to me. Glad I went early on Monday morning.