Axle upgrade

idpagal

After completing Elephant Hills in Canyonlands, my husband and I are thinking of upgrading our 2019 JLU Sport for more challenging trails. We plan to upgrade the axles in preparation for 37s in the near future.

Current state: It seems my JLU Sport has Dana M186 (D30) front and Dana M200 (D35) rear. It's a JLU Sport, no lockers, with 3.45 stock gear ratio.
Option 1: Replace the front axle with Dynatrac PR44 with an e-locker. Only regear the rear axle to match the front.
Option 2: Replace the front axle with Dynatrac PR44 with an air locker. Install an air locker in the rear axle. Although our preference is e-locker, it seems there is no e-locker for M200 (D35) rear axle.
Option 3: Replace front and rear axles with JLU Rubicon takeouts.
Let me know you guys opinions on above options.

On gear ratio, considering we are going to run 37s in the near future, it seems 4.10 would be sufficient (37 inches/31.5 inches * 3.45 = 4.05). However the re-gear ratio offered by Rebel Off-road is 4.88 and above. My question is if 4.88 is really necessary. What are the major cons, given we are running on 34 inch tires right now?

Last but not least, I'd like to hear your suggestions on what else to change when upgrading the axle(s)?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After completing Elephant Hills in Canyonlands, my husband and I are thinking of upgrading our 2019 JLU Sport for more challenging trails. We plan to upgrade the axles in preparation for 37s in the near future.

Current state: It seems my JLU Sport has Dana M186 (D30) front and Dana M200 (D35) rear. It's a JLU Sport, no lockers, with 3.45 stock gear ratio.
Option 1: Replace the front axle with Dynatrac PR44 with an e-locker. Only regear the rear axle to match the front.
Option 2: Replace the front axle with Dynatrac PR44 with an air locker. Install an air locker in the rear axle. Although our preference is e-locker, it seems there is no e-locker for M200 (D35) rear axle.
Option 3: Replace front and rear axles with JLU Rubicon takeouts.
Let me know you guys opinions on above options.

On gear ratio, considering we are going to run 37s in the near future, it seems 4.10 would be sufficient (37 inches/31.5 inches * 3.45 = 4.05). However the re-gear ratio offered by Rebel Off-road is 4.88 and above. My question is if 4.88 is really necessary. What are the major cons, given we are running on 34 inch tires right now?

Last but not least, I'd like to hear your suggestions on what else to change when upgrading the axle(s)?

Thanks a lot!

Honestly, if you can find a decent set of Rubicon take offs, you should be able to buy them for about the cost of a ProRock 44. Otherwise, going with option 1 would be a solid way to go. As far as gears go, 4.88 is a nice match for 37's and they'll make your Jeep feel stock again. I'm running 5.13's and at first, I wasn't so sure I liked them but now, I don't think I could do it any other way. The power gains are awesome especially off the line. This is very nice to have in places like Moab.

idpagal

Eddie,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! That's what we are thinking. Most preferred option 3 Rubicon takeoffs. 2nd preferred option 1 Dynatrac PR44 to replace the front axle, regear the rear axle. :yup:

Is there a popular market place to buy Rubicon takeoffs? Please advise.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! That's what we are thinking. Most preferred option 3 Rubicon takeoffs. 2nd preferred option 1 Dynatrac PR44 to replace the front axle, regear the rear axle. :yup:

Is there a popular market place to buy Rubicon takeoffs? Please advise.

I see you're in SoCal. I would call around to places like EVO or shops like it that do big builds. They always have takeoffs and you might be able to get a lead with them. Craigslist works as well but most of those people want way too much.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Speaking of axle upgrades, anyone seen the need to add C gussets on these new axles yet like the JK?