Tire carrier

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looking for opinions on tire carriers for my jlu. Going to be running 37” ridge grapplers.

Currently looking at the rusty’s carrier and evo.
IMG_0624.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg

drhcobra

The powder coating on my Evo carrier isn't great and you will want to paint the inside area before you install which is a pain. I like the carrier and went with evo over rustys because it seemed like evo keeps the tire tighter to the tailgate. I would consider Rusty's for the oillite bronze hinge bushings and hopefully better powder coat.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The powder coating on my Evo carrier isn't great and you will want to paint the inside area before you install which is a pain. I like the carrier and went with evo over rustys because it seemed like evo keeps the tire tighter to the tailgate. I would consider Rusty's for the oillite bronze hinge bushings and hopefully better powder coat.

I have been leaning toward the rustys for the pure fact of the evo powder coat. I know that they usually don’t have the best coating, especially for us east coast folk.

Does anyone have any other options outside of the two I mentioned?

WiscoHR

I have been leaning toward the rustys for the pure fact of the evo powder coat. I know that they usually don’t have the best coating, especially for us east coast folk.

Last week I had to take my EVO carrier off to repaint after about a year. Looks great again and is a great solid tire carrier. It’s just their powder coat is always so thin.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you get the EVO, I would get it bare steel and then have it powder coated locally. I did that with my rocker guards and thought they came out a lot better.

I have the Motobilt tire carrier, no complaints. Comes in bare metal so you would have to powder coat it yourself, really liked the 3rd brake light and license plate relocation kit so I went with it. Either way Rustys and Evo are both solid choices.

TheGrendel

If you get the EVO, I would get it bare steel and then have it powder coated locally. I did that with my rocker guards and thought they came out a lot better.

agreed on getting stuff bare steel from Evo if possible. the biggest knock of anything Evo has to be their poor powder coating. but, the quality of the parts makes up for it.

I went with the Motobilt carrier and love it. As said above it does come bare so you can get it coated. Either way, I was looking at the two you mentioned in addition to the Motobilt so don’t think you can go wrong with any of those.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app