How much tread depth difference can be tolerated?

gravydb

On my new-to-me Jeep, the prior owner never included the spare tire in the normal rotations - it still looks brand new. The other tires have 30K miles. I’d like to introduce the spare into the rotation scheme but I’d like to know how much difference in tread depth can be tolerated on the same axle. Or more accurately I suppose, difference in circumference.

It’s a 2018 JLU Sahara with OEM 32” tires.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gravydb

Found my trusty ol micrometer and ran outside to take some tread depth measurements. There is 1/16” difference between the unused spare and the other tires. I have a feeling this is OK but if anyone knows for sure please chime in. Thanks!

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
On my new-to-me Jeep, the prior owner never included the spare tire in the normal rotations - it still looks brand new. The other tires have 30K miles. I’d like to introduce the spare into the rotation scheme but I’d like to know how much difference in tread depth can be tolerated on the same axle. Or more accurately I suppose, difference in circumference.

It’s a 2018 JLU Sahara with OEM 32” tires.

Any advice?

Depends on how much of a difference there is in the tread. Let’s say the spare is 13/32 new and the 30k tires are at 5/32 then I would say don’t rotate the spare in. If the worn tires are at 9/32 then I would say your fine. I would put the spare on your right rear since it’s the primary drive wheel.

gravydb

Thanks. Yeah I’m only seeing a 2/32” difference, so I think I’m good to go.