Waterproofing soft top

gravydb

I don’t know if it’s a waste of time or not. But I noticed on my new-to-me 2018, the twill top looked like it was soaking up water when it rained. Which maybe isn’t a big deal (?) but I decided to try some 303 Fabric Guard (I never used it before, but I’m a big fan of their other products for boating).

Well I gotta say I’m pretty happy with the results. Rain now beads up like crazy. It’s impressive. I followed the directions to a T, I washed the top thoroughly, let it dry thoroughly, and then applied 2 light coats, allowing plenty of time for that 1st coat to dry. Fortunately we had hit a dry hot spell here in the southeast, so, the product had tons of time to cure. No rain for at least a week after I applied that 2nd coat. Eventually I started wishing for rain so that I could see the performance!

Oh I should also mention, I learned from multiple sources how imperative it is to mask off the vinyl windows, apparently this stuff can etch them, and so I took that advice seriously and made sure they were covered adequately. All is well.

So anyway, the stuff works. Again, I’m not sure how imperative it is, but it definitely works as advertised. At the very least maybe it’ll make it easier to keep the top clean.

Anyone else using a fabric protectant?Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrGiant

I am a soft top only guy, the factory twill one.
Before the first winter, the one 2019/2020 I cleaned it to get some protection on. It a pain to mask the windows and argue with wind during spraying the stuff.
It seemed to work but yesterday I noticed at least the side panels to soak water up.
I might have to look at that again.
I dont know if you have it in the States but I have made good experiences with A1 products on my bike and Jeeps

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR