Brand new 2020 JLUR Recon axle seal leak?

Xxsullyxx123

Hey, I’ve been doing due diligence before I bring my new Recon with 450 miles into the dealer for diagnosis, mostly because I am curious but also because I like to know a problem before I allow a dealer to touch my vehicle if possible. I stumbled upon this forum due to all of @WAYOFLIFE Eddie’s awesome YouTube videos I have been watching lately. He seems to really know his stuff, as well as having seen some of the JL Rubicon axles torn down. I’ve got a leak coming from the passenger side axle tube it appears. The Axle C has blackish lube/grease On it, there is lube slung around the back of the tire, and there are some drops on my garage floor. It’s pretty dark, and not super stinky, but maybe I have a high tolerance? In any event, reading around about the Dana 44’s on the JK’s this was usually An inner axle seal issue but possible either a plugged vent or factory overfilled Differential.

My question is, for guys that have torn these things down, is there a seal on the output side of the Front Axle Disconnect (FAD)? One YouTube video I saw (not Eddie) seemed to indicated there was a seal there. Which would lead me to believe if there was an inner seal problem, it still wouldn’t get past that FAD seal. Maybe its simply that seal? Again, I will likely have to take this in to the dealer, but I just hate the idea of them having to tear down the front Diff to replace a seal and I am generally not the most trusting of folks working on my things. I wiped it down and figured I’d drive it a bit more to see what happens, or even open of the diff fill port to see if it was overfilled, but maybe I shouldn’t even bother. Either way it’ll get taken care of (hopefully properly and the first time). Sorry for the sideways pic, cant figure out why that happens on forums sometimes. 2722CA46-3DC6-4549-9955-0069830563C7.jpg

Last edited:

Xxsullyxx123

Just went and figured I’d take the fill plug out and at least see if it overflows. It didn’t, and the oil was a good half inch under. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t overfilled and leaked down to normal levels, but more likely than not one of the seals is defective.

Xxsullyxx123

Lots of views and no comments, but i figured for anyone searching in the future I would at least update this thread with the results as of now. Dealer replaced the passenger side inner axle seal. No other parts for now. Hopefully that solves it, but I’ve heard lots of stories where it was something else (the shaft being bent or nicked) that causes the seal to leak. But just as easily could be only a faulty seal. Can’t complain, dealer was responsive and had the Jeep back to me the next day after they had the part overnighted. 30 miles and no leak thus far :)