Trail Damage to Tail Gate

JrBiem

I should have been running one of Eddie's hitch stingers this weekend, but I wasn't! (I'm no photographer and found it hard to get it to show well)

Coming back down the opposite direction, I caught my 35 and creased my tail gate.
Capture.jpg

edited.jpg

Now the weight of the spare causes the gate to flex when I hit bumps in the road and makes an annoying popping sound. It still closes fine, and there's no cracks in the paint or anything. So I'm looking at options to move the spare weight off the door to get rid of the noise and prevent further damage. I'm looking at Genright, but am open to ideas/suggestions so lets hear em!

Last edited:

Whitarmy

You inspired me. Buying a hitch stinger for the JK. Lol

On another note. I hear great things about the aluminum gen right carrier if you wanna spend that

2008 JKU
2014 JKR
2020 JTR

JrBiem

Evo. I run it with 37’s and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Check out Rustys Offroad carrier: https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...-tire-carrier-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler.html

Several people on WAL suggested it over the EVO carrier. Mine's coming in tomorrow's UPS.

Wasn't sure if these styles would still be ok with pre-existing damage to the gate. I understand weight is transferred to the beefier hinges, but didn't know if it mattered that it still bolted to the gate also.

You inspired me. Buying a hitch stinger for the JK. Lol

On another note. I hear great things about the aluminum gen right carrier if you wanna spend that

2008 JKU
2014 JKR
2020 JTR

Hitch stinger would def be worth it! I like the cage carriers alot, and wish Evo had one ready for the JL.

I should have been running one of Eddie's hitch stingers this weekend, but I wasn't! (I'm no photographer and found it hard to get it to show well)

Coming back down the opposite direction, I caught my 35 and creased my tail gate.
View attachment 15854

Now the weight of the spare causes the gate to flex when I hit bumps in the road and makes an annoying popping sound. It still closes fine, and there's no cracks in the paint or anything. So I'm looking at options to move the spare weight off the door to get rid of the noise and prevent further damage. I'm looking at Genright, but am open to ideas/suggestions so lets hear em!

That sucks man!! This is main reason why I bought stinger before I ever took Jeep off road. I have been in same exact position as your picture and that stinger does the job. I would file claim and get gate fixed. Brand new Jeep! As far as tire carrier, I have been running 37 on my stock carrier since I bought it in 18. I think it is fine, as long as you put bushing extensions on. Don't know if you would have to for 35? If you decide to get a carrier, I prefer Rusty's over Evo's. When and if I upgrade carrier, I would get Rusty's.