Bead locks...why?

Hi folks, thought I could get some feedback on this. I have been wheeling my Jeep now pretty much at least once a month since Jan 2019. I bought aluminum Mammoth wheels that were only $108 a wheel. I bought aluminum because they are light, and I knew I would be adding weight to the JL over time. I have had great success with them. I air down to between 8-10 psi. Seems to me, for most...non bead-locks are plenty adequate. Mind you...I like the KMC wheels I see some of you use. Badass looking and strong. However I haven't seen the need as of yet to spend $400-500 on a rim x 5, and add all that weight.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi folks, thought I could get some feedback on this. I have been wheeling my Jeep now pretty much at least once a month since Jan 2019. I bought aluminum Mammoth wheels that were only $108 a wheel. I bought aluminum because they are light, and I knew I would be adding weight to the JL over time. I have had great success with them. I air down to between 8-10 psi. Seems to me, for most...non bead-locks are plenty adequate. Mind you...I like the KMC wheels I see some of you use. Badass looking and strong. However I haven't seen the need as of yet to spend $400-500 on a rim x 5, and add all that weight.

At 8-10 psi or lower your at risk of popping a bead with a non beadlock wheel especially if you get in between some rocks. The extra security of not having to worry about the bead popping in those situations plus being able to go even lower in psi for extra traction is why people choose beadlocks.

At 8-10 psi or lower your at risk of popping a bead with a non beadlock wheel especially if you get in between some rocks. The extra security of not having to worry about the bead popping in those situations plus being able to go even lower in psi for extra traction is why people choose beadlocks.

Thanks for feed back. Your stating obvious. However I have never had tire pop off rim. IMO going lower than 8-10psi has minimal, if any gain. Rocks here in east are always slippery and flat tires do not seem to make a bit of difference. I think the tire type is much more important than bead locks. I have Coopers, however I think the Mud Grapplers I use to have were better, and I ran closer to 15psi with those.

Any other reason to add all that weight for bead locks?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for feed back. Your stating obvious. However I have never had tire pop off rim. IMO going lower than 8-10psi has minimal, if any gain. Rocks here in east are always slippery and flat tires do not seem to make a bit of difference. I think the tire type is much more important than bead locks. I have Coopers, however I think the Mud Grapplers I use to have were better, and I ran closer to 15psi with those.

Any other reason to add all that weight for bead locks?

I’m on the east coast as well (pa) and wheel the same wet and slippery terrain and have found that the lower I go the better grip I have.

I popped a bead at 12psi with non beadlock wheels. I even watched a guy spin the wheel inside of the tire once. Once I went beadlocks 8psi I where I always run and have even gone lower on some harder trails. The time I was in Moab with WAYALIFE we stayed at trail pressure the whole week while driving on the streets. I have no scientific data behind this but everyone having beadlocks made doing so safer when driving at 40+mph on the road to get to trails.

Yes I would agree that tires do make a big difference. I personally didn’t notice a grip difference between my mud grappler or my coppers on my JK. Only difference was tire size.

DavidDJL69

Why are you even asking if you’re fine with your current setup? Seems moot to me. You will see clear advantages running beadlocks as mentioned by others. Obviously you don’t need them so don’t run them! I run TR beadlocks and love how they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Why are you even asking if you’re fine with your current setup? Seems moot to me. You will see clear advantages running beadlocks as mentioned by others. Obviously you don’t need them so don’t run them! I run TR beadlocks and love how they perform.

I was simply looking to see if someone could point out something I am overlooking. NOPE. Is that 'moot' too?

ddays v2

I was simply looking to see if someone could point out something I am overlooking. NOPE. Is that 'moot' too?

Great feedback. Thanks for interesting comment. Douche.

:rolleyes2:

Why did you even post? You weren't even asking - you laid out your justifications for not running beadlocks in your statement. Fine no problem. Good for you. You got an answer from Cozdude and a couple guys saying what most of us were thinkin. No need to get your bluerubiconunderpants all twisted up.

DavidDJL69

Douche x 2 back 2 U. If you’re lying awake at night dreaming of beadlocks why not make your dreams come true and get a set? That way you’ll know firsthand what people running them have been trying to share with you. Nothing like firsthand experience ya know.

Jeeeep

As stated before, the risk of popping a bead with lower pressures is there and mostly in the rocks where side impact is more likely to occur.

I've had it happen after many trips of nothing happening and seen it happen to others when the trails have more rocks than bare spots.

Another benefit is it keeps the wheel from spinning inside the tire especially when you're on the gas and spinning those tires up to get over and obstacle.

Next time you go play on the slick rocks, place a mark on the tire and wheel and see if they are still aligned at the end of your trip.

Bead locks are heavy but if you're out wheeling often they give peace of mind.

If you're mostly overlanding then they don't make sense because of the hassle of getting a tire changed.

If you like your current setup and it works for you, no need to change until you feel it would be a benefit.