Soundbar vibrates!

gravydb

Sorry if this topic was beat to death at some point but I searched and couldn't find anything...

It's not 100% of the time - I'm trying to figure out of it's maybe temperature related (?)... but I occasionally have a very annoying vibration/rattle in the sound bar when listening to music, and it's definitely the low-end bass that causes it. If i press my hand against the soundbar, it stops. So it's some sort of sympathetic vibration. I'm a retired musician so I know a bit about speaker cabinets and how certain key frequencies can induce this vibration, and I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here. The usual solution is to dampen, but I'm not an automotive sound guy, so I'm not sure what to dampen?

Has anyone encountered this? What did you do to resolve it? And no I am not turning down the bass :)

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sorry if this topic was beat to death at some point but I searched and couldn't find anything...

It's not 100% of the time - I'm trying to figure out of it's maybe temperature related (?)... but I occasionally have a very annoying vibration/rattle in the sound bar when listening to music, and it's definitely the low-end bass that causes it. If i press my hand against the soundbar, it stops. So it's some sort of sympathetic vibration. I'm a retired musician so I know a bit about speaker cabinets and how certain key frequencies can induce this vibration, and I'm pretty sure that's what's going on here. The usual solution is to dampen, but I'm not an automotive sound guy, so I'm not sure what to dampen?

Has anyone encountered this? What did you do to resolve it? And no I am not turning down the bass :)

In my JK I put some filler in behind the speakers. The bar itself is hallow so the reverb in there is what causes the rattle

LVZen

Shove some thick weather stripping between the sound bar and the cross bar on the roll cage. That's where your rattle is coming from.

gravydb

Thank you! I'll eventually do the poly-fill and also dampen the contact between the soundbar and crossbar. Also, I've read the poly-fill also helps overall sound quality, as an added benefit.

I found a temporary stop gap: shift the sound-center just a click or two forward. Doing so does not cause a perceptible decrease is low end, yet it eliminates 99% of the rattle. Just thought I'd share that in case anyone is looking for a workaround.

Thanks!!!!

gravydb

Yeah man!!! :thumb: I don't care what vibrates/rattles as long as I don't HEAR it LOL

Rock on!!!! :wings: