Pre-ignition knock

Unkle_Willy

Anybody notice engine pinging with their 3.6 JL? First time I noticed this today. I'm at just under 10k miles. Maybe just noticed it with doors & top off? Cheap gas? Gearing in EMC not matched with upsized tires? Only happens when lugging at low RMP under load (auto trans). Might try some octane booster.

MrGiant

Is it a fast knock 3 times and then it starts? I believe that I dont have it every start, only when I start it the next day, not after a short stop at a store or so.
I have that, too, but I am not too worried, since its an automatic and different things are checked before turning the starter. Is yours a manual?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Unkle_Willy

Is it a fast knock 3 times and then it starts? I believe that I dont have it every start, only when I start it the next day, not after a short stop at a store or so.
I have that, too, but I am not too worried, since its an automatic and different things are checked before turning the starter. Is yours a manual?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR
Auto trans, and happens while driving. I just corrected the tire size in the EMC with a Tazer. Let's see if that helped?

Sent from my SM-G973U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

tobyw

I have started to notice some pinging over the past couple of months, seems to come and go. We have just over 11k miles and it's definitely a new development... :idontknow: