Backup lights on factory installed trailer harness

Spack

Hey guys, I have an ‘18 JLUR with factory hitch and wiring harness and I’m building an overland trailer and found that the backup lights don’t work when using the 7 pin connector.

I verified by hooking the lights to the 12v power lead and they do work. Also, I have continuity on the reverse light wire in the trailer harness. It seems that there’s just no voltage coming out of the Jeep. My dealer said that it’s most likely a “TIPM” (?) issue and the computer needs to be updated to have the reverse function turned on.

Has anyone run into this issue and if so, is there another way (tazer?) that could accomplish turning on the reverse function. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have an ‘18 JLUR with factory hitch and wiring harness and I’m building an overland trailer and found that the backup lights don’t work when using the 7 pin connector.

I verified by hooking the lights to the 12v power lead and they do work. Also, I have continuity on the reverse light wire in the trailer harness. It seems that there’s just no voltage coming out of the Jeep. My dealer said that it’s most likely a “TIPM” (?) issue and the computer needs to be updated to have the reverse function turned on.

Has anyone run into this issue and if so, is there another way (tazer?) that could accomplish turning on the reverse function. Thanks.

No...but me thinks I'm going to go hook up my trailer and see.

Spack

Solution!!! It was lazy of me before, but the dealer’s solution didn’t sit right. I checked the fuse panel under the hood and the fuse looked ok, but I switched it with one of the spares. Made sure it was seated and checked the lights...and they work. *headslap 🤦🏻*♂️