Locking Lug Nut - No Key

gravydb

Hey there. About a week ago I bought a 2018 JL Sahara Unlimited. I just discovered the spare tire has a locking lug nut - I have scoured the Jeep, every possible hiding space, and I can’t find the key. I’m guessing the prior owner forgot to include it, or maybe he lost it at some point. I’m not sure what the brand is, or if that even matters. But I’m looking for suggestions on how to deal with this. The Jeep dealership I bought this from is over 600 miles away (I flew there and drove it home), however I have a local Jeep dealership nearby if needed. Any thoughts?

IMG_8940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I had a similar experience several years ago. Went down to a local auto parts store (don't recall which one, I lived in another state than I do now) and they had a pretty large set of lug nut keys. We were able to find a matching key, and remove the lug nuts.

YAHAHA

In an emergency, vise grips do wonders. Like others said, take your picture to a large parts store to see if you can match it.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

gravydb

Thanks. I'll hit my local Advance Auto Parts this week and see if they can help me. Maybe try the local Jeep dealership too. And yeah I have a decent pair of vice grips if need be....

I appreciate your help! And thanks for the warm welcome!

gravydb

Just wanted to close the circle on this. I had tried the vice-grips idea but the collar spins. I determined it's a Mopar locking nut on my spare tire, and found a matching OEM Mopar key on ebay. So anyway, I am all set for now. I'll have to decide whether to continue using the locking nut, or just put a stock nut on there. Either way, I needed the key, and I'm glad I found one.

My area isn't particularly crime-ridden, regardless I suppose a locking nut on the spare isn't a bad idea. Are locking nuts 100% effective? Of course not (I found the exact key I needed on ebay for cryin out loud). But it's a deterrent, in theory. I know some folks don't use them, thinking they'd rather have their tires stolen than the thief break into the vehicle searching for the key. It's a conundrum! I'm gonna try to not think about it too deeply...

Last edited:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just wanted to close the circle on this. I had tried the vice-grips idea but the collar spins. I determined it's a Mopar locking nut on my spare tire, and found a matching OEM Mopar key on ebay. So anyway, I am all set for now. I'll have to decide whether to continue using the locking nut, or just put a stock nut on there. Either way, I needed the key, and I'm glad I found one.

My area isn't particularly crime-ridden, regardless I suppose a locking nut on the spare isn't a bad idea. Are locking nuts 100% effective? Of course not (I found the exact key I needed on ebay for cryin out loud). But it's a deterrent, in theory. I know some folks don't use them, thinking they'd rather have their tires stolen than the thief break into the vehicle searching for the key. It's a conundrum! I'm gonna try to not think about it too deeply...

Lol as you said locking nuts are more of a deterrent. Takes extra time for the crooks to either look for the key and take the wheels off.