Does this look like rust?

JTCO

Meme King
I would definitely take that in. If the dealership itself doesn't own a body shop, they may send you out to deal with it through a 3rd party body/collision shop. But definitely bring it up so they can document it.

MrGiant

I have hammer in here! This is how my hinges look right now. I read that this is a common problem and I cannot accept this on my JL which I habe taken care of as good as possible (to avoid such effects).
Is Jeep Care still active? Please take a look and help people like us20200510_130516.jpeg20200510_130608.jpeg

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Rbrown

I thought I read that the doors are made from aluminum. That could corrosion. Sure looks like it to me. I have the exact color Jeep and mine is not doing that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posithonas

So I’ve been doing some digging and I guess this is a big problem and it’s been an issue since 2007 with the JKs. Jeep does cover it under warranty so I’ll be taking mine in on Tuesday. I guess I’ll update everyone then.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

I hope thats how it goes with your jeep, keep us posted!.
Anyway, I'd like some response from Jeep Care

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Polaris Pro

It’s a known problem, galvanic corrosion. Take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP223/3USA

I think you may regret it. Odds are they're just going to fuck something else up.

I totally agree. I had an issue with my lower right tailgate needing a paint and crack fixed that was not structural. They just painted over it and the crack became noticeable after awhile. I ended up doing what JTCO said and filled it with caulking. Also, there was over overspray on my Jeep. I took it back to get that mess cleaned up. Another issue was my grill had some yellow on my white vehicle. They never sanded it and the paint was rough. I ended up taking it back again to get it prepped right and repainted. Also, they never took the grille off and I had overspray on my headlights. They just gave me new headlights. A big fucking mess with the dealership.

BoyneJL

Same - galvanic corrosion under the paint on the aluminum door skins. All four doors on my JLUR have the problem. Mine is an October 2018 build. Thinking problem might be coming from poor coating on the metal hinge bolts that attach the hinge to the door creating a dissimilar metal contact and galvanic corrosion? Or simply aluminum door wasn’t prepped properly before paint. Found during Covid early April.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 92

MrGiant

Mine is from October 2018 as well. I cant figure out why this happens, anyway it is a fabrication mistake

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

ncb

Well shit, one of my doors has it. It’s definitely corrosion. I’m sure just like the JK the hinge is bolted to the door with no coating in between. It’s disappointing for sure on a one year old vehicle. I’m thinking the only fix is to remove each door hinge and clean, prime and paint.

ncb

IMG_3042.jpgIMG_3043.jpg
I removed the hinge that had paint starting to bubble. As expected the door skin is bare. The hinge has some type of coating on the mating surface. The corrosion is pretty bad. I deal with this on aircraft and it won’t be bad to clean up and coat. I’ll have to do a bit of paint touch up on this door. I’ll be removing all hinges and coating the bare aluminum. Sucks it’s only a year old. This will get bad if not dealt with.