Does this look like rust?

Posithonas

View attachment 15806View attachment 15807
I removed the hinge that had paint starting to bubble. As expected the door skin is bare. The hinge has some type of coating on the mating surface. The corrosion is pretty bad. I deal with this on aircraft and it won’t be bad to clean up and coat. I’ll have to do a bit of paint touch up on this door. I’ll be removing all hinges and coating the bare aluminum. Sucks it’s only a year old. This will get bad if not dealt with.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Man! I commend you for taking off your hinges! I’m afraid of voiding my warranty.

MrGiant

Hi guys, I need some help and advice.
My dealer just called me and said FCA does not offer warranty for exported vehicles, such as mine.
He offered to let it get fixed and split costs which I think is nice from him.

But I am afraid that the Paint Shop s**** and the difference to the original paint will be visible. I've had 3 horrible experiences with different Paint Shops with good reputation.
And I am scared to make it even worse if they don't work right.

Now my thoughts besides any cost split...what if I do not let it be repainted? Will it be more difficult to let it be painted in a few years? Any thoughts? This aluminum story is new, I know my YJs steel and its rust behaviour pretty good but this doesnt help me so far.
Thank you!

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

13_gecko_rubi

Exported from where to where?
Hi guys, I need some help and advice.
My dealer just called me and said FCA does not offer warranty for exported vehicles, such as mine.
He offered to let it get fixed and split costs which I think is nice from him.

But I am afraid that the Paint Shop s**** and the difference to the original paint will be visible. I've had 3 horrible experiences with different Paint Shops with good reputation.
And I am scared to make it even worse if they don't work right.

Now my thoughts besides any cost split...what if I do not let it be repainted? Will it be more difficult to let it be painted in a few years? Any thoughts? This aluminum story is new, I know my YJs steel and its rust behaviour pretty good but this doesnt help me so far.
Thank you!

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ncb

There will be lots of doors with corrosion until Jeep learns to coat the door skins before installing the hinges. I will be removing all of my hinges and treating the bare aluminum with Alodine and painting.

WiscoHR

Let’s be honest, it’s a massed produced vehicle. It’s painted like every other vehicle coming down the assembly line. Yes we deal with exposed hinges, but also the nature of the beast. You can’t expect Jeep or any other manufacturers to paint and seal separate body panels and reassemble.

MrGiant

I know that this step is expensive...but the JL clearly is, too.
Its a vehicle from 2018 engineering state, the previous model JK had the same issue....
Its not about Jeep not going modern or implementing new tech into the car, like touchscreen or other Wrangler unlike things as a heated steering wheel. I like all these features a lot though its far from the puristic ages.
Its about doing work not appropriate although they know the issue and it can be solved. So many really tiny problems are solved and 0,1 MPG is gained by engineering and this is just ignored? Hard to believe IMO

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Dave C'Berry

Any suggestions on products to use to fix this myself. My JL is 3 1/2 years old and just started to corrode but is spreading quickly. I do not want to waste time and effort with FCA or the dealership run around. Besides it is only on 2 of the 4 doors now and will probably end up affecting the other doors, tailgate and hood at separate times which adds up to months and years of arguing warranty coverage. Anyway, I am a DIY guy and am not afraid to try to fix this myself and could use some expert direction on what type of primer and paint to use.