2020 JL Steering Issues

Conrad65

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope it adds value.
I've recently bought a new JL and I must admit that I was astounded that Jeep allowed this car to be released for road use, due to the woeful steering. I must have had 15 degrees of free play. I returned to the dealer the following day after collecting the car, only to be told it's the design and it's normal. A death trap isn't normal.
After reading many posts about wandering steering on early JLs I can confirm that the issue is still there on new models.
My JL is now 100% ok, with rock steady one handed relaxed steering.
It was the steering box adjustment, Jeep will not touch it, and to be honest I wouldn't want them too. Anyone with mechanical aptitude can do it just take your time, and make small adjustments, sixteenth of a turn at a time on the center screw. Mine took just short of a quarter of a turn, approximately 80 degrees.
The job is easier if you move the plastic air tube out of the way.

Before you slacken anything make a small reference mark on center screw, then take a15mm socket, and long extension and just relieve the tension of the locknut, then use a quarter drive 4mm hex socket with extension and driver handle and t bar, to hold the centre screw, take a 15mm spanner and back off the locknut a sixteenth of a turn while holding the centre screw secure. Then with your spanner and 4mm hex socket, tighten the locknut and let the center screw turn with it, finally nip it up with the 15mm socket.
Go slowly with adjustment as this is an alloy housing, and you don't want to crack it!
I've read about ball joints being loose, and software upgrades but my issues were purely down to a poorly set up steering box from the factory, and I would imagine that there are many more out there, as manufacturer specs will remain the same, ie incorrect.
My Jeep now steers like any other suv I've driven, iand it's a pleasure to stay in lane.
Hope this helps.

JTCO

Meme King
This sounds like a liability and safety issue just waiting to happen. If a steering box is indeed out of adjustment, the manufacturer needs to put forth a procedure for the techs to adjust or replace the box. To the best of my knowledge, the steering box has already been updated at least twice for these.

Conrad65

JTCO, I agree Jeep should sort it, but everyone is in denial and say it is a design feature for off road use. As for liability it is entirely up to individuals how they approach this problem, but I found my original steering too much of a liability to use the car as it was, (seriously nerve wrecking) and I wasn't prepared to just sit my car on the drive waiting for something which might happen from Jeep.

No additional equipment or stabilisers fitted, it is now perfect.

Sent from my SM-F700F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

I did not check or think about the degrees of free play my steering wheel has, but I do definitely have play there.
Inspite of many others calling this an issue, for me it is a blessing! I hate the handling of vehicles with almost zero or really zero play, much too responsive for relaxed driving. Thats why for me Wranglers have the relaxed handling of everything I have ever driven, mostly european normal cars or Jeeps
I dont have a clunk or dw in the steering so its fine for me and I wouldnt want if different

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

MrGiant

Nothing wrong with that. Everyone experiences handling a little different. Could have been different on yours than on mine.
In the end the fix for you is most important [emoji41]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Nothing wrong with that. Everyone experiences handling a little different. Could have been different on yours than on mine.
In the end the fix for you is most important [emoji41]

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

^^^ Bingo my man. I been told my jeeps handling is terrifying (Honda driver) & awesome (dodge truck owner).

Conrad65

The first pic shows the general location, then second pic focuses in on the steering box. You will see a small mark on the centre adjusting screw in the 11 o'clock position, the original mark was made in the 9 o'clock position, so you see it is only a slight tweak what is needed. I did serve a mechanical apprenticeship and worked as a mechanic for a decade. So I did feel comfortable making the call and adjustment.20200428_150914.jpeg20200428_150842.jpeg

Sent from my SM-F700F using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RanchoRubi

Thank you. Very clear. I just got a new JL. Only driven 300 miles. Steering is Ok. But feels diff than the JK I own as well. Maybe electric motor has some part in that. Don’t have 15deg of play.
I have heard a lot about the steering issues and given your approach I really wanted to understand in case I start to see something like what you went through. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Conrad65

You are welcome.
Thank you. Very clear. I just got a new JL. Only driven 300 miles. Steering is Ok. But feels diff than the JK I own as well. Maybe electric motor has some part in that. Don’t have 15deg of play.
I have heard a lot about the steering issues and given your approach I really wanted to understand in case I start to see something like what you went through. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sent from my CPN-L09 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

jmeyers278

Yay

Man I thought it was just me! I got my JLU yesterday and have driven it about a hundred miles (had a quote to drive to today). I was shocked at how "loose" the steering felt. This is my first JL but I owned a half dozen jk's and more tj's. It has been 3 years since my last JK and I thought that time spend in a TA 392 challenger just made me more "sensitive" to the jeep steering. I am going to check this out in the morning. THANKS!