2020 JLUR Mods Begin

Away from home for work and my wife said Brown Santa came by with a lot of HEAVY packages. I said, “drag them inside!” They’re her birthday presents as it’s in a couple of weeks. And somehow our Rubicon has become “her jeep.” :)

Phase 1 of the mods start...NOW.

Poison Spyder Crawler front and rear bumpers, front skid, Smittybuilt winch, and Rugged Ridge tube doors.

Home from hitch late last night. Some good weather today for the installs. Let’s go!

A523A4CE-AA75-49F3-ABC2-03B344C555DB.jpg

Jeep4Life

Away from home for work and my wife said Brown Santa came by with a lot of HEAVY packages. I said, “drag them inside!” They’re her birthday presents as it’s in a couple of weeks. And somehow our Rubicon has become “her jeep.” :)

Phase 1 of the mods start...NOW.

Poison Spyder Crawler front and rear bumpers, front skid, Smittybuilt winch, and Rugged Ridge tube doors.

Home from hitch late last night. Some good weather today for the installs. Let’s go!

View attachment 15477

Nice! Can't wait for the post-mod pics!

Congrats. Nice cargo.

Nice! Can't wait for the post-mod pics!

Got the front bumper and winch installed. Forgot the fairlead bracket. :mad: Had to order it today. Means I have to removed the winch and one of the bolts is very difficult to reach. The rear is gong to required some drilling for the parking sensors. Also have to moved the license plate to inside the spare tire.

Lift and tires next upgrade.

2E96899B-F5C0-482F-919C-50813F58E889.jpg4E1C00E8-EDE7-4727-A11A-F796E775D4D9.jpg 1F10B86C-5253-4849-A216-5D8BC7FB2ECC.jpg

Attachments

• 9BF5FFD7-B8B8-49DB-8ED9-CA6228C4A2E2.jpg
    9BF5FFD7-B8B8-49DB-8ED9-CA6228C4A2E2.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 161
Today’s task: Remove and replace rear bumper. Since I have the tow package and park sensors, this is a lot more involved. The old plastic bumper had to be completely disassembled to removed the sensors and wiring harness. The tow hitch and wiring connector also removed.

I have some new Mopar rear sensor mounts Coming. I’ll have to drill the bumper for them. Researching on where to put the outside ones, as the bumper is angled there.

The Poison Spyder bumper comes with a hitch receiver, so the factory one can be discarded. I’ll drill the bottom of the bumper for the connector for now. I’d much rather it be out of the way.

62030BBB-434B-44E7-9574-918A6695D2C2.jpg A60C263B-7952-406C-B3B4-6469C1E10298.jpg 793F7DF3-FA42-486B-BBAF-3B6B2FD03BD2.jpg

Discount Tire

Advertiser
Supporter
Great looking JLUR. BTW I love the cool Shorthair in the rear. I had on that color we called Dusty. She loved to leap off the shore into the water at the lake. She never got tired. Our first one I saw swim for over 2 hours without touching land chasing ducks.We had 3 German Shorthair dogs and loved them all. They are the best with kids.

I can't wait to see the rest of your build. :thumb:

Last edited:
Great looking JLUR. BTW I love the cool Shorthair in the rear. I had on that color we called Dusty. She loved to leap off the shore into the water at the lake. She never got tired. Our first one I saw swim for over 2 hours without touching land chasing ducks.We had 3 German Shorthair dogs and loved them all. They are the best with kids.

That’s awesome!

We’re on # 7 and 8 Shorthaired pointers. Love them to death.

Nice! [emoji41] Really nice looking Jeep. Cool dogs too

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks! Shorthairs are the best!

If anyone is going to tackle this bumper, the included instructions were way off for my factory fog lights. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to apply what Poison Spyder said to mine. “Using a cutoff wheel...” I was like...What? Why? YouTube didn’t help. Tried calling...nope probably closed for Covid19. Mopar must have changed the design. We took delivery of our’s which we ordered in January 2020.

Solution? Simple actually. Poison Spyder includes a really good mount that is welded inside the bumper. I just grabbed 4 self drilling metal screws, aligned the light center, and applied. Done. Took literally 20 seconds per light. Should have filmed it.

Another thing I would have done...I would have put it all together on the ground first. The skid plate was difficult to say the least. Not much room to get to the bolts.

D88EBC37-E640-4053-9F1D-FED6704AA7CE.jpg

Last edited:
Coming along nicely. Hope those rear sensors work out for you.

Haven’t seen anyone else tackle it on this bumper. I’ve been searching for a YouTube or thread.
The inside ones should be no problem. It’s the outside ones that will be a huge issue getting the angle correct. I might run over to the Jeep / RAM dealer an see if they have some factory mounts with an angle that will work.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I'm surprised it didn't come pre-drilled, as a lot of them do now. Right now I'm bumperless and I really like that look, but I had been considering adding some protection at one point and looked at the LOD rear bumper. The LOD comes pre drilled for the sensors. I don't have sensors, and I don't want holes where I don't need them. There are plastic plugs to fill the holes if you don't have the sensors, but still...

Last edited:
Coming along nicely. Hope those rear sensors work out for you.

I'm surprised it didn't come pre-drilled, as a lot of them do now. Right now I'm bumperless and I really like that look, but I had been considering adding some protection at one point and looked at the LOD rear bumper. The LOD comes pre drilled for the sensors. I don't have sensors, and I don't want holes where I don't need them. There are plastic plugs to fill the holes if you don't have the sensors, but still...

Will take some modifying And extra driving around to find what I need for sure, but my wife drives the JL mostly so... sensors needed. (P.s. Yes, she knows she needs them :D)

Bumper and winch mods mostly complete! Only thing left are the rear park assist sensors. Wiring is run, just trying to find the correct mounts for the sensors that will work with this bumper. Had to go to Lowes for some stainless Steel bolts, as the included ones for the passenger side rear bumper were about 1/2” too short. Did use the pre-drilled holes to mount the trailer harness plug. Will keep it there until I rip it off I guess! ;-)

The license plate relocate was a pain. The included wiring harness extension was about 2’ too short. And it’s going to be a huge pain trying to unplug the 3 different harnesses from the back of the bracket just to get the spare off. I think I’ll find a decent single plug that can work for all 3 that I can modify.

476654FB-C331-4949-869A-34244A9660B2.jpg 74872741-6074-4B4E-ACE2-6F78F23A5CFD.jpg B5317F11-806F-4819-A1F5-0646A937D129.jpg 672D9B7C-B714-4BB5-A319-06A453B9F7BB.jpg 99CB8C5A-BE1A-44B2-B00A-9A297A866124.jpg

Last edited:
Rugged Ridge Doors and Mopar Bikini and Eddie’s Top Lift

Spent the afternoon installing the Rugged Ridge Tube Doors and the Mopar BIKINI top On the JL.

And just as some others have said, the mopar bikini top was missing one of the snap screws. It was very hot today, so we had no problem stretching it over the top onto the snaps. The Mopar top fits snug. I like it a lot.

The doors took a little longer as one the driver’s side as it’s the first time doing these. The passenger side was very quick. I love how solid they are. And they come with mirrors! Once you get them adjusted, no rattles.

Looks great! :usa-flag:

B68F5FD9-6F7A-441D-9F60-1BC16C1688C5.jpgF2FF7CC2-944E-46C0-BA47-1ACDFD0E3B89.jpgB15051C6-6BF0-4456-85C8-0CED1A0288F2.jpg