Oil catch can?

NFRs2000NYC

It wont hurt anything, and has the minor benefit of stopping oil from combusting and adding minor deposits to your pistons and cylinder walls. As stated, far from necessary, has a small benefit. If you have the spare cash, why not.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I was losing a quart of oil through the intake and didn’t get one. Snake oil.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

I probably have too much free time & am just over thinking. I’m actually pretty happy with the Jeep & just coming up with shit to do.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I don't have a catch can, and I don't think that I need one. But I do have a question... I don't seem to lose / burn much oil between changes, however when I see people empty these catch cans, it looks as if they'd be pretty low in no time. How can this be so?

I don't have a catch can, and I don't think that I need one. But I do have a question... I don't seem to lose / burn much oil between changes, however when I see people empty these catch cans, it looks as if they'd be pretty low in no time. How can this be so?

If I'm reading the info correctly you lose about 1oz per 500-1000 miles out of 5 qts. Its pretty minimal, but I'm thinking over 5-8 years thats a lot to circulate back in.

tjeeper

It's not just oil, it is condensation and I can smell fuel vapor. More condensation in the winter. In normal driving, I empty it once a month and get about 2-3oz. When I am in Moab and do a trail that involves a lot of vertical climbs, it will be about half full by the end of the day.

I got it because I tend to keep my Jeeps forever, so I figure it couldn't hurt to keep the intake manifold as clean as possible.

The funny part is after I installed it one in my JL, my Gen 3 Prius started having issues with engine shake. Long story short- the idiot engineers placed the PCV valve half way down the engine block. After about the 100k mark, people start having issues with engine shake, cylinder misfires, and lastly warping heads. The fix is to put in a catch can. This is what the throttle body looked like:

IMG_5049.jpg

I think there is a time, and place for oil catch cans. They don't hurt anything if you install one as long as you remember to empty it. On high performance engines they are nice to have as well to an extent on direct injected engines. On the 3.6l since it's not direct injected you have gas cleaning the intake valves so I personally wouldn't install one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you old enough to remember Tornado throttle body spacers? Yeah, that's about how necessary oil catch cans are. The bit of oil you're seeing means your PCV is doing its job.

Nissan

Catch Can

Hello

Why should I buy CATCH CAN ??
Why JEEP can't fix this Issue
As I see it the phenomenon has started since JK 3.6L

Thanks

Attachments

• Smoking.jpg
    Smoking.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 158

Nissan

Merged here.

thanks

The truth
I came out a little confused by what I've read so far
Some install CATCH-CAN and some do not believe in the product
A week ago a friend's car engine went off because it returned oil to the intake manifold

Is there another way to prevent the situation?
(Just don't tell me to stop climbing rocks)

thanks

The truth
I came out a little confused by what I've read so far
Some install CATCH-CAN and some do not believe in the product
A week ago a friend's car engine went off because it returned oil to the intake manifold

Is there another way to prevent the situation?
(Just don't tell me to stop climbing rocks)

Just go down the rocks & not up them? ;-) Honestly it’s a new/updated engine & we’ll wait and see once they start getting 100-150K miles on them if it’s a real issue.

Blkb1rd

The only reason to have a catch can is if you have a direct injection engine. Having owned several the valves will become clogged not long after the warranty goes out. There is a litigation ongoing against BMW because of this issue.
Intake valves collect carbon deposit until performance drops due to air starvation. You take it in to the dealer and they have to charge you to walnut blast the valves because they have so much carbon on them you can barely tell they are valves. This is not a cheap procedure and DIY is iffy as you have to have a special vacuum attachment and blaster adapter. It will also start building up on the turbo for the 2.0 engines. I’m sure that is not a cheap fix either.

Again this will only help minimize the problem on direct injection engines. You can do a search for carbon build up on DI engine to see the results. Personally I think it is a cash cow for dealers so they are not really doing anything to fix it.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Hello

Why should I buy CATCH CAN ??
Why JEEP can't fix this Issue
As I see it the phenomenon has started since JK 3.6L

Thanks

First I would learn how to drive and not park vertical for hours on end. Second I would grab your sack and make sure it’s still there. That should fix the issue.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal