Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil catch can?

Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar

Oil catch can?

Ever since I found oil in my air intake Iíve been thinking about adding a catch can to the PCV. Any thoughts?

Far from necessary IMO. But yes it will catch oil. I wouldn't buy one.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    It wont hurt anything, and has the minor benefit of stopping oil from combusting and adding minor deposits to your pistons and cylinder walls. As stated, far from necessary, has a small benefit. If you have the spare cash, why not.

I was losing a quart of oil through the intake and didnít get one. Snake oil.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
    2012 JK Dozer
    1975 DJ5 Postal
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

I probably have too much free time & am just over thinking. Iím actually pretty happy with the Jeep & just coming up with shit to do.

I don't have a catch can, and I don't think that I need one. But I do have a question... I don't seem to lose / burn much oil between changes, however when I see people empty these catch cans, it looks as if they'd be pretty low in no time. How can this be so?

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    I don't have a catch can, and I don't think that I need one. But I do have a question... I don't seem to lose / burn much oil between changes, however when I see people empty these catch cans, it looks as if they'd be pretty low in no time. How can this be so?
    If I'm reading the info correctly you lose about 1oz per 500-1000 miles out of 5 qts. Its pretty minimal, but I'm thinking over 5-8 years thats a lot to circulate back in.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    It's not just oil, it is condensation and I can smell fuel vapor. More condensation in the winter. In normal driving, I empty it once a month and get about 2-3oz. When I am in Moab and do a trail that involves a lot of vertical climbs, it will be about half full by the end of the day.

I got it because I tend to keep my Jeeps forever, so I figure it couldn't hurt to keep the intake manifold as clean as possible.

The funny part is after I installed it one in my JL, my Gen 3 Prius started having issues with engine shake. Long story short- the idiot engineers placed the PCV valve half way down the engine block. After about the 100k mark, people start having issues with engine shake, cylinder misfires, and lastly warping heads. The fix is to put in a catch can. This is what the throttle body looked like:

IMG_5049.jpg
    Patrick
    '99 TJ
    '18 Mojito JLUR

Caught the Bug
    I think there is a time, and place for oil catch cans. They don't hurt anything if you install one as long as you remember to empty it. On high performance engines they are nice to have as well to an extent on direct injected engines. On the 3.6l since it's not direct injected you have gas cleaning the intake valves so I personally wouldn't install one.

Are you old enough to remember Tornado throttle body spacers? Yeah, that's about how necessary oil catch cans are. The bit of oil you're seeing means your PCV is doing its job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast