+10 or -18 Backspacing? Need help picking the right wheels.

texasbryan

+10 or -18 Offset? Need help picking the right wheels.

I am considering the Black Rhino Chase wheels for my JLUR with a 2.5 in lift. My choices are:

17x8 with +10 Offset or 17x9.5 with -18 Offset

I want to run 37x12.5R17 tires (Nitto Ridge Grappler).

Will both wheels fit fine with zero rubbing? I assume the +10 will stay under the wheel wells better?

Is an 8 inch rim a little too narrow for a 12.5 in tire? Will the tire balloon out too much?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you're asking about offset? Because, back spacing is typically measured in inches. With a 12.50" wide tire, you really want to run wheels with about 5" of back spacing or less. The less you have, the more your tires will stick out. It should be noted that most aftermarket wheels will come with 3.5" of back spacing.

texasbryan

I assume you're asking about offset? Because, back spacing is typically measured in inches. With a 12.50" wide tire, you really want to run wheels with about 5" of back spacing or less. The less you have, the more your tires will stick out. It should be noted that most aftermarket wheels will come with 3.5" of back spacing.

Doh! Yes, that is the offset. I’ll correct my post. Black rhino doesn’t list the backspace but it looks like the 8 inch wheel might be 4.89 inches of BS and the 9.5 inch wheel is 4.54 inches of BS.

Does that mean the 9.5 in wheels will only stick about .35 inches more than 8 in wheels?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Doh! Yes, that is the offset. I’ll correct my post. Black rhino doesn’t list the backspace but it looks like the 8 inch wheel might be 4.89 inches of BS and the 9.5 inch wheel is 4.54 inches of BS.

Does that mean the 9.5 in wheels will only stick about .35 inches more than 8 in wheels?

What it means is that it isn't enough to really matter. You probably won't even be able to see the difference. :)

WiscoHR

The 9.5 inch wheels will stick out 1.85 inches farther then the 8. They have 1.5 inches more rim on the outside and .35 less on the inside but in all reality that’s really not that much.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app