Steering wheel resistance with tires larger than OE

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Sooo...
With OE JL electro-hydraulic steering system, should I be able to turn 37s using my steering wheel while sitting still on level pavement with engine at idle?

Onlyone

Sooo...
With OE JL electro-hydraulic steering system, should I be able to turn 37s using my steering wheel while sitting still on level pavement with engine at idle?
Well, I would hope so. Mine turns with one finger. Mine are 12.50s though. Aren’t yours 13.50?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Yes. I've got Coop 37x13.5s. Since the day I installed them, I don't think I've ever been able to turn them while at a standstill. Even on a smooth garage floor. 🤔

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Well that's not accurate. I was able to turn them to shoot the video of the steering box flex. But there have been many times that I've been unable to turn them. I remember struggling at Wheeler Lake last August trying to turn the wheels while stopped on the trail.

I thought about it while backing it into the garage this weekend. It was a pain in the ass moving forward and backward just to turn the damn wheel.

Last edited:

Onlyone

Well that's not accurate. I was able to turn them to shoot the video of the steering box flex. But there have been many times that I've been unable to turn them. I remember struggling at Wheeler Lake last August trying to turn the wheels while stopped on the trail.

I thought about it while backing it into the garage this weekend. It was a pain in the ass moving forward and backward just to turn the damn wheel.

Wow that could be a part of your ongoing problems. I’m with Eddie, I think most of your problems will go away with the PSC kit.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The problems I had turning the wheels at Wheeler Lake were so pronounced, which is just about the same time my DW began. I'm not sure why I didn't put 2+2 together before... must be that new math.

And now that I'm thinking about it, it's on again off again. It was my 13 y/o turning the wheels when I shot the steering box flex video, and she didn't have any problems. I had it in the driveway this weekend to clean out the garage, and getting it back in and centered was a major pain in the ass. Turning the wheel while at a standstill was impossible. I'm not talkin difficult, I literally mean impossible. I was unable to turn the steering wheel whatsoever.

JTCO

Meme King
Try to duplicate it again. Then while it's still running, jack up the front axle so that tires aren't on the ground. See if it still feels stiff (that's what she said) or if it feels way easier or just a little bit easier.

Onlyone

The problems I had turning the wheels at Wheeler Lake were so pronounced, which is just about the same time my DW began. I'm not sure why I didn't put 2+2 together before... must be that new math.

And now that I'm thinking about it, it's on again off again. It was my 13 y/o turning the wheels when I shot the steering box flex video, and she didn't have any problems. I had it in the driveway this weekend to clean out the garage, and getting it back in and centered was a major pain in the ass. Turning the wheel while at a standstill was impossible. I'm not talkin difficult, I literally mean impossible. I was unable to turn the steering wheel whatsoever.
I wonder where the issue is. Steering box? Power steering? Didn’t you say they had an updated PS box?

Last edited:

Jeeeep

I'm about to swap my Coopers 13.5 on MAchetes over to my JL.

I've been on the fence about ordering BFG's for the JL because the Coopers are heavy and Machete 3.5 BS

Have you checked the system for air?

impossible to turn sounds like low flow at idle or air in the system - both issues I dealt with on my PSC system on my JK; once resolved no more issues.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Try to duplicate it again. Then while it's still running, jack up the front axle so that tires aren't on the ground. See if it still feels stiff (that's what she said) or if it feels way easier or just a little bit easier.

Good idea. I'll report back after I give it a try.

Mine steers fine with 13.5’s. Hope you find a solution soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Thanks. I'll get it figured out sooner or later. It's hard to believe that I've had it off the road 6 months already. I don't know where the time gets to.

I wonder where the issue is. Steering box? Power steering? Didn’t you say they had an updated PS box?

Yes, they had a few updates since the 2018. Service manager at my local dealer is more than happy to replace my current steering box, as long as I put the OE steering stabilizer back on and remove the Synergy track bar brace.

I'm about to swap my Coopers 13.5 on MAchetes over to my JL.

I've been on the fence about ordering BFG's for the JL because the Coopers are heavy and Machete 3.5 BS

Have you checked the system for air?

impossible to turn sounds like low flow at idle or air in the system - both issues I dealt with on my PSC system on my JK; once resolved no more issues.

I currently have the OE steering system, not PSC system (yet?). No idea how to check for air or low flow at idle, but tapping the gas to increase RPM made no difference while at a standstill this past weekend.

WiscoHR

Running the same wheels and tires as you, I will saw yes and no. There are times I can crank the wheel while parked without issue. Other times I can’t turn them unless I am slightly rolling. I’ll also add it can be in similar conditions in the same parking spot at work.

Sometimes steering is completely effortless and other times the Jeep needs to be slightly moving. So I guess I don’t know.

But if you’re asking the days it won’t turn it feels like you could pull on the wheel as hard as you want with no results. But as soon as you roll an inch or so it’s back to no effort regular steering.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Running the same wheels and tires as you, I will saw yes and no. There are times I can crank the wheel while parked without issue. Other times I can’t turn them unless I am slightly rolling. I’ll also add it can be in similar conditions in the same parking spot at work.

Sometimes steering is completely effortless and other times the Jeep needs to be slightly moving. So I guess I don’t know.

But if you’re asking the days it won’t turn it feels like you could pull on the wheel as hard as you want with no results. But as soon as you roll an inch or so it’s back to no effort regular steering.

Are you still running your original pump and original steering box?

ncb

Has to be bad pump or steering box. Let the dealership replace the box and see if it fixes it. I haven’t had the JL long enough to tinker with it. With it running have someone turn the wheel and look in the reservoir for fluid movement.