Dana 44 Rear Differential Noise

Lookthermo

I’m getting a slow speed rotational clicking/clunking noise from the rear differential. I have an 18 JL Unlimited Sahara with the Dana 44 Anti-slip rear end. I only hear the noise while moving very slow usually between 10-20 mph. At normal speeds above 20 mph I do not hear it at all.

I’ve already taken it to the dealer once and they said they could not duplicate the problem. So, I jacked up the rear of the Jeep and rotated the wheels by hand and there is a definitive noise coming from the differential. I made a video (link below). I brought the video to the dealer and now have an appointment for them to look more in-depth at this.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this issue and what the fix ended up being.

https://youtu.be/TuGlJnjqrGo

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

MrGiant

Uhhh, that sounds really bad! Do you have the possibility to let someone turn the wheel and feel on the diff housing or anywhere? I would have to know where the noise comes from.
Anyway, dont touch the diff cover. This is the easiest way for the dealer to blame you

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that ain't right. DO NOT open up the differential but DO take it into the dealership and ask them to do the same test you just did.

Lookthermo

Yeah something is not right. I have 50,000 of probably 98% highway miles. All maintenance is done at 5000 mile intervals. I’m definitely not taking any overs off but I presume I’m going to have a hell of time with the dealer. Also, I’m wondering if this is strictly a problem with the limited slip differentials. Any of you with the open diffs or you with rubicon lockers have any issues?

jamrock

This appears to be an issue with the Sport and Sahara Jeeps with LSD. I have seen a great deal of discussion about this on another forum. If you google "Knock in rear with Dana 44" you should find the information you are looking for.

It appears as if the clutches in the LSD are breaking down prematurely. When the dealers open up the diff they are finding metal shavings inside and the oil is very dirty. There may be an issue with the Dana 44's. Some have reported that the same thing has happened to the replacement parts that have been installed.

So far, the LSD has been replaced under warranty. It is not clear what will happen when the warranty runs out on the Jeeps.

I don't know if the manufacturer of the Dana 44's is aware of the issue. There has not been any word of a permanent fix. Some owners have opted for take off Rubicon axles as a solution. I know that people on this forum are in contact with the manufacturer. It would be interesting to hear from the manufacturer on this issue. From what I have seen, it appears to be a professionally run company that stands behind its products.

JrBiem

I'm going back and forth with my dealer about this issue currently on my 2018 JLU sport. Similar noise albeit not as bad as yours. Last week they blamed my tires (said they were cupped and that it was a common m/t tire issue - they don't look cupped to me and seem to be wearing quite nicely), put stock wheels and tires on it and called me to tell me the noise was "100% gone". I told them to leave the stock tires on and I'd come down and check it out. Took a ride with the tech and pointed out the noise was not gone. They dug deeper and on the next call told me that my lower eyelet bushings/sleeves were shot in my fox 2.0 shocks. I called fox for part #s and replaced the bushings/sleeves today. Went for a ride and the noise was still there. I called the service advisor and after some discussion and some back and forth he's agreed to pull the diff cover and inspect.

First he told me I'd have to agree to cover the cost if they didn't find anything. I don't trust them and would not agree to cover the cost (especially not $53/qt for oil) and I already have royal purple in the garage to do it myself. So he said they could reclaim the oil and put it back in if they didn't find anything. I chuckled and agreed. If they don't find anything then I will just drain and replace at home and if they end up replacing parts under warranty and new fluid then I will save the royal purple for later.

DavidDJL69

The dealer represents the company or FCA. FCA probably knows it has a problem with these Dana LSD 44’s and they’ll try anything to avoid a recall. Good advice to keep bothering the dealer with this until you get them agitated enough to make it right.

Cliff

Yeah, that ain't right. DO NOT open up the differential but DO take it into the dealership and ask them to do the same test you just did.
Did you ever figure out the problem? I just stumbled across your post and have the same problem. My Service Manager has ordered a set of axles with seals and outer bearings. Hope this solves the problem. 2018 JL with 35000 miles.

Cliff

Well just a follow up on the last post. The axles didn't fix the problem. They have decided to order a rear differential and it should be in within a few days. This hole ordeal started on 18 Oct. For sure if this wasn't under Warranty I would be anywhere but at the Dealership.

Cliff

Well just a follow up on the last post. The axles didn't fix the problem. They have decided to order a rear differential and it should be in within a few days. This hole ordeal started on 18 Oct. For sure if this wasn't under Warranty I would be anywhere but at the Dealership.
Finally fixed asw of 6 DEC