Ultimate Dana 60s upgrade, got some questions.

Deezus

Upgrading my JLUR to UD60s. I'm running and evo longarm/coilover.
Couple questions, I freeway drive mostly off road on weekends, is 4.88 enough to get back 8th gear?
As for the coilover, would the raised track bar in the rear(comes with the UD60)work or do I need to use the Evo one?
Any other tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Title should say some not done.
Doh

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really depends on what size tires you're wanting to run. If 40's, you really want 5.38. As far as the rear track bar goes, you should be fine with what comes on the UD60.

Deezus

Really depends on what size tires you're wanting to run. If 40's, you really want 5.38. As far as the rear track bar goes, you should be fine with what comes on the UD60.
Ty Eddie. What's your RPM at 70mph? Also, I remember when you went to 5.13s you said freeway passing was affected.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ty Eddie. What's your RPM at 70mph? Also, I remember when you went to 5.13s you said freeway passing was affected.

With 40's on our JT and 5.38, I'd say about 2400 and in 8th.

The problem with the 5.13s and 37's is that the transmission just didn't want to shift into 4th when doing 70 mph. I'm sure it's a self-preservation thing to prevent red lining but if I drop down to about 60, it'll kick into 4th.

Deezus

With 40's on our JT and 5.38, I'd say about 2400 and in 8th.

The problem with the 5.13s and 37's is that the transmission just didn't want to shift into 4th when doing 70 mph. I'm sure it's a self-preservation thing to prevent red lining but if I drop down to about 60, it'll kick into 4th.
Ok, so 2400 @70mph which is 5 to 600 more than 4.10s. just trying to make sure I don't have to gear twice because I was thinking 488 would be about 21-22 so it's really not that much more actually. I have an aftermarket cat-back muffler so...
Pleasant shifts back down to 4th and 5th to pass properly right?

JTCO

Meme King
Ok, so 2400 @70mph which is 5 to 600 more than 4.10s. just trying to make sure I don't have to gear twice because I was thinking 488 would be about 21-22 so it's really not that much more actually. I have an aftermarket cat-back muffler so...
Pleasant shifts back down to 4th and 5th to pass properly right?

What size tires are you going to be running? If you're going 60 axles, why not just get the 5.38s? It would suck to get a higher gear ratio and then in a year or two change your mind and wish you had gone 5.38s.

Deezus

What size tires are you going to be running? If you're going 60 axles, why not just get the 5.38s? It would suck to get a higher gear ratio and then in a year or two change your mind and wish you had gone 5.38s.
Well I'm running 39's right now which are about an inch smaller than a 40 so when I re-up my tires I might stay with these for another round because I have a brand new spare but I think I'm going to go for 5:38
I'm glad I asked you guys because I thought I could get away with a bigger gear, but I think 538 is the way to go thank you.

Deezus

Also, does anybody know the width on the ultimate Dana 60 for the JL because I couldn't find the width in their literature or maybe I missed it. I'm pretty sure it's close to what this stock Rubicon is which is 67.9.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good find on the 69". Assuming you're running 3.5" of back spacing, you shouldn't be seeing any rubbing. Running 40" Trail Grapplers and EVO DTD, I clear without any issues.

Deezus

Good find on the 69". Assuming you're running 3.5" of back spacing, you shouldn't be seeing any rubbing. Running 40" Trail Grapplers and EVO DTD, I clear without any issues.
I'm rubbing a little but these KM3s say there are 13 .5 but they're not and I was really looking for another half inch I was about to like go to back down to a 231 XD beadlock and put the spacers back on but now I won't have , I'm running to 232's now.
So Eddie how do you like the UD 60s I hear good things about them so far.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm rubbing a little but these KM3s say there are 13 .5 but they're not and I was really looking for another half inch I was about to like go to back down to a 231 XD beadlock and put the spacers back on but now I won't have , I'm running to 232's now.
So Eddie how do you like the UD 60s I hear good things about them so far.

As most know, I've been a Dyantrac guy for years and years and to be completely honest, I was a bit skeptical about the UD60's being that they had problems when they were first introduced a few years back. However, after talking to the guys at Dana and to Mel at EVO, I decided to give them a try and... I have to say that I've really impressed with them. Them being made in the USA is a plus of course, significantly lower price is a very big plus, availability is another plus worth noting but above and beyond that, I've been really impressed with the massive brakes that come on them and the fact that they still use OE style tone rings. As much as I love my ProRock 60s and 80's, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have speed sensor issues. So far, I've had NONE with the UD60's. Of course, punishing them in places like New England was all I needed to know that they're up to the kind of abuse I will put them through.

Deezus

As most know, I've been a Dyantrac guy for years and years and to be completely honest, I was a bit skeptical about the UD60's being that they had problems when they were first introduced a few years back. However, after talking to the guys at Dana and to Mel at EVO, I decided to give them a try and... I have to say that I've really impressed with them. Them being made in the USA is a plus of course, significantly lower price is a very big plus, availability is another plus worth noting but above and beyond that, I've been really impressed with the massive brakes that come on them and the fact that they still use OE style tone rings. As much as I love my ProRock 60s and 80's, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have speed sensor issues. So far, I've had NONE with the UD60's. Of course, punishing them in places like New England was all I needed to know that they're up to the kind of abuse I will put them through.
almost everything that you said is what I agree with especially price and availability you know because I can get them in two to three days which is what's going to happen for me I'm still on the fence with this 488 and 538 though.....freeway RPMs and noises what I'm kind of concerned with but I guess if it drops down into eighth even if it's spinning at 2200 RPMs @ 70 mph I should be fine right?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
almost everything that you said is what I agree with especially price and availability you know because I can get them in two to three days which is what's going to happen for me I'm still on the fence with this 488 and 538 though.....freeway RPMs and noises what I'm kind of concerned with but I guess if it drops down into eighth even if it's spinning at 2200 RPMs @ 70 mph I should be fine right?

With as big of a tire as you're running, there's no way I would run 4.88. At that ratio, your transmission would be dropping gears more often and that'll get you running at higher rpms more times than not.

Deezus

With as big of a tire as you're running, there's no way I would run 4.88. At that ratio, your transmission would be dropping gears more often and that'll get you running at higher rpms more times than not.
Yeah I'm ordering them right now I'm going 538 thanks a lot Eddie I appreciate it !

Saddletramp

Hey Eddie, did you get the air lockers or e-lockers?

Just curious if you needed a switch panel for the e-lockers option or if the factory Rubi locker switch works?

Thank you!

Deezus

Just curious if you needed a switch panel for the e-lockers option or if the factory Rubi locker switch works?

Thank you!
Factory switches won't work. Maybe the rear. You will have to use an aftermarket switch harness or the aux switches if you have them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deezus

I forgot to ask you Eddie will the XD 232 17-in beadlock wheel work with those brakes/ work with those axles?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thank you!

Decided to try something different this time around and went with e-lockers. I hooked them up to the aux switches. If you don't have them, the e-lockers use a simple 2 wire switch and you could use something like a Switch Pros to make it work. Unfortunately, you can't use the Rubicon switch or at least, at this time.

I forgot to ask you Eddie will the XD 232 17-in beadlock wheel work with those brakes/ work with those axles?

Being that they come with 3.5" of back spacing, the should work out.