Why wouldn't the Selec Trac have always been an available option?

CheaperJeeperTV

Hey Guys,

I've owned my first ever Jeep, a 2018 JL since May 2018, and have over 60,000 miles on it from heading north every weekend.
I got the Selec Trac option, as it was fortunately made as an available option when the JL was released.
Noting it's benefits, especially on winter highways, I have to wonder why the Selec Trac wasn't an available option on the JKs? I understand it's been around for a while.

:rock:

Last edited by a moderator:

JTCO

Meme King
Don't take this the wrong way, but please re-visit the rules that you agreed to when you signed up here in regards to soliciting members here to your own YouTube channel . Thank you.

13_gecko_rubi

Hey Guys,

I've owned my first ever Jeep, a 2018 JL since May 2018, and have over 60,000 miles on it from heading north every weekend.
I got the Selec Trac option, as it was fortunately made as an available option when the JL was released.
Noting it's benefits, especially on winter highways, I have to wonder why the Selec Trac wasn't an available option on the JKs? I understand it's been around for a while.

:rock:
It's a simple answer. Jeep people are a hard bunch to change things on. The rate of Selec Track Wranglers sold today is super low. It was a regulatory retirement for international markets so the investment had to be spent so it was also offered here too to see how the Jeep market would take it. Had the investment had to be justified by sales here alone it would be a hard sell.

I like the system personally.

Sent via....

CheaperJeeperTV

Funny, I don't recall the cost, but it seemed to be a worthwhile investment for the additional flexibility in the transfer case options.

WWRuby_Svi

If I recall correctly, doesn’t this require rear wheel slip to engage the center diff and send power to the front?

I know the older systems were this way and if all you care about is working without thinking about it then that’s great. If you want the most traction then locking the center diff is your answer. Cost aside I’m buying a wrangler to be capable and requiring wheel slip to generate front wheel grip doesn’t make sense for a serious off road vehicle... perfect for a GC or other high way vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

CheaperJeeperTV

The Selec Trac is best suited for when you're on highways with slush/snow patches, then dry patches, not off road scenarios. So in Canada, or in the northern states, it's probably desirable if you are heading north to get to the cottage or ski hills.

13_gecko_rubi

The Selec Trac is best suited for when you're on highways with slush/snow patches, then dry patches, not off road scenarios. So in Canada, or in the northern states, it's probably desirable if you are heading north to get to the cottage or ski hills.
It still has the locked mode and works same as traditional part time tcase.

Sent via....

13_gecko_rubi

If I recall correctly, doesn’t this require rear wheel slip to engage the center diff and send power to the front?

I know the older systems were this way and if all you care about is working without thinking about it then that’s great. If you want the most traction then locking the center diff is your answer. Cost aside I’m buying a wrangler to be capable and requiring wheel slip to generate front wheel grip doesn’t make sense for a serious off road vehicle... perfect for a GC or other high way vehicles.

When in 4 auto the center diff is always engaged and sending a certain amount to the front diff. If it senses slip it can send more that way. But it's always engaged.

And for off road you would be in 4 hi locked setting or 4 lo which work same as the part time case. The Selec track just adds and extra tcase position. If it had been available on the Sport I probably would have gotten it.

Sent via....

WWRuby_Svi

When in 4 auto the center diff is always engaged and sending a certain amount to the front diff. If it senses slip it can send more that way. But it's always engaged.

And for off road you would be in 4 hi locked setting or 4 lo which work same as the part time case. The Selec track just adds and extra tcase position. If it had been available on the Sport I probably would have gotten it.

Sent via....

Good to know, haven’t looked into the newer version.