Gremlins you have experienced with your Wrangler JL

CheaperJeeperTV

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd compile a list of known glitches, or electronic gremlins as I like to call them, with the Jeep Wrangler JL. Feel free to add onto the list...

For example....

1. Reverse lines on the rear camera screen disappear
2. Radio won't turn off
3. Offload screen shows transfer case locked image even though transfer case lever is in 2H
4. ...

Jeeeep

1. Reverse lines on the rear camera screen disappear
2. Radio won't turn off
3. Radio freezes while driving and does not respond to any controls, requires engine restart
4. Heater starts blowing cold AF air just when it gets to a comfortable heat and the opposite, AC starts blowing hot AF air at random

JTCO

Meme King
Clock won't keep time. 5k on odometer and concern has happened twice. It was just randomly off by a couple hours or so each time. I have the basic El Cheapo screen.

WiscoHR

Most of the odd things I’ve had happen seem to be with the 8.4” display.

Rear view camera has been stuck on until I restarted the Jeep

Display was dimmed even though headlights were off. Had to do full reboot with Tazer to get it back to normal.

It has gone to the blue screen of death until I restarted the Jeep.

Sometimes outside temperature will show extreme variations of temperature.

Odometer would randomly show 999,999 miles until it was driven a mile and then revert back to actual mileage.

And one time I was unable to unlock the rear locker. Think this one had to do with the Tazer. Saw there last update now has a new algorithm for unlocking rear locker.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Camelot

Just curious how many that experience electrical issues has installed an aftermarket product like the Tazer?

cb4017

I was getting an occasional ESS light that would go away when I restarted the Jeep. It stopped when I seated all the fuses/relays in the TIPM.

That and the 5" radio sometimes does weird things.

tobyw

The one random thing that mine does is every once in a while the brake pedal is extremely stiff when I hop in to start it up. Luckily I seem to have avoided most of the random NAV/radio glitches...

Swagger

2hi indicator on dash flickers. Service 4wd indicator on dash occurs at the same time.
Shut off/start cycle clears issue.

Swagger

Just found out why my park sense wasn't working intermittently - connector wasn't seated fully on one of the sensors, and the lock wasn't seated. While down there, noticed the connector on the rear axle for rear locker was not locked. Must have came from the factory that way. Could be the cause of many of the gremlins. Check your connectors!

Jeeeep

8.4 radio would not shut off, nothing on the screen nor the knob was working.

Tried several restarts and drove it around but it sill was unresponsive and would just turn back on after shutting off the engine.

It was late so I put a towel over the console so the light (light dimmer also not responding) wouldn't show at night.

When i went out to check it the next day the fucking radio was still on. Took it straight to the dealer and of course the POS shuts off but the interface was still hot AF.

This has happened a few time (not this bad) since new and it's been to the dealer only to be told they could not replicate it.

Even with video as proof they said nothing they can do since they can't replicate it. :doh::doh::doh:

gravydb

No major gremlins with my new-to-me ‘18 JLUS. One relatively minor but annoying gremlin (or perhaps user error), and I’m curios if anyone else has seen this. I would say this happens 75% of the time. I’ll have the key fob in my pocket or in my hand, and when I press the little button on the door handle to lock or unlock the doors, I’ll only hear a subtle click from the doors, but they do not actually lock or unlock. So, there is SOME reaction happening, but not the full reaction.

Likewise, if the doors are locked and I grab the handle and begin to pull, the door should unlock if I have the fob on me. But again this is only successful about 25% of the time.

Otherwise, the key fob itself works perfectly, as far as using the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock, as well as the remote start. That stuff works perfectly 100% of the time. So, I’m now developing a habit of only using the buttons on the fob, and not even bothering to use the other methods.

Any suggestions? Anyone else see this? Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiscoHR

No major gremlins with my new-to-me ‘18 JLUS. One relatively minor but annoying gremlin (or perhaps user error), and I’m curios if anyone else has seen this. I would say this happens 75% of the time. I’ll have the key fob in my pocket or in my hand, and when I press the little button on the door handle to lock or unlock the doors, I’ll only hear a subtle click from the doors, but they do not actually lock or unlock. So, there is SOME reaction happening, but not the full reaction.

Likewise, if the doors are locked and I grab the handle and begin to pull, the door should unlock if I have the fob on me. But again this is only successful about 25% of the time.

Otherwise, the key fob itself works perfectly, as far as using the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock, as well as the remote start. That stuff works perfectly 100% of the time. So, I’m now developing a habit of only using the buttons on the fob, and not even bothering to use the other methods.

Any suggestions? Anyone else see this? Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The little button on the outside of the door handle only locks the doors so when you press it more than once it cycles but it’s already locked so no horn.

To open the doors. Grab the entire handle wait a second for it to unlock, then proceed to pull. If you pull the handle to fast it doesn’t unlock.

JTCO

Meme King
My radio goes funky on the JT once in awhile. Like won't play at all.

One time recently, even after shutting off and re-starting the truck, it still wouldn't illuminate nor play. Then I shut it off for about 10 minutes and it worked fine since then.

I had the radio issue once in a while the first year, but I haven't seen it in a while.

On a side note, I was watching Dirt Every Day yesterday, he was out wheeling an old Willy's Wagon with Roadkill. Freiburger made a comment after the taillightsstarted randomly working again, "Jeeps heal themselves, and what doesn't heal, you don't need." It made me laugh, especially after he spent 3 days working on a "1-evening project."

Sent from my SM-N970U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

gravydb

The little button on the outside of the door handle only locks the doors so when you press it more than once it cycles but it’s already locked so no horn.

To open the doors. Grab the entire handle wait a second for it to unlock, then proceed to pull. If you pull the handle to fast it doesn’t unlock.

Well sir you are correct and I am embarrassed. I'm not sure how I got that mixed up. Thank you tho! :)